storage server 2008 r2 essentials - user change own password

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by MikeAK, May 18, 2012.

1. MikeAK

MikeAK MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    #1 MikeAK, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Hi,

I have neen running Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials for a couple of months with no problems. Now one of the users has changed his password on his Windows 7 laptop, now of course he gets a username/password prompt when he accesses a server share.

Is ther a way for a user to change their own user password on the server? I have searched but cannot find a way to do this, seems like a major omission if it can't be done.

I know he can save his server passord on his W7 laptop, but its still another password to rember when accessing the server via the web interface from another PC. Not a problem for me or him, but granny stuggles with that!

Thanks or any advice

Mike

2. MikeAK

MikeAK MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks,

I'll have a look at that later, bit busy right now.

I was hoping for a way for the user to their sever password from windows 7, rather than resorting to using the client restore cd. Ideally this needs to be a way the non computer savvy can cope with.

All sugestions appreciated though.

Mike

3. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Try this from a workstation:
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click "change a password". Set the username to servername\username (with your server's network name and a backslash), and try changing the password.
    Of course this will only work when you have both computers on the same network.

If the user has access to the server through remote desktop they can use Ctrl+Alt+End in the remote session to change the password.

4. MikeAK

MikeAK MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion, Ctrl+Alt+Del EChange Password doesn't work and he users do not have Remote Desktop access.

It seems odd that this is not something users can do from the launchpad, changing password is a common activity.

Thanks
    Mike

5. MikeAK

MikeAK MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Hi, After much googling and talking to colleges it seems that 100's suggestion of using Ctrl+Alt+Del Change password and setting username to server\username should work, but it didn't.

After a lot of messing about I rebooted the server and it now works!!!

Would be good if users could do this from the launchpad though.

Thanks for the info

Mike