Store bought laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by EFW, Sep 28, 2012.

1. EFW

EFW MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Hi folks,

I've just bought a laptop for my son so it will help him with his studies. The laptop I've got comes with M$ Windows7 Home Premium installed, along with a shed load of unwanted bloatware.

If I download a copy of W7 Home Premium from the digitalrivers links that are on this forum and install using the key that comes with the laptop, will it activate all ok? No additional hardware will be installed; I’m just reinstalling a fresh clean copy of W7 onto it.

Thanks

-EFW

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @EFW: it will work just fine. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFW

EFW MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Well, thanks for the replies, will check out the program, if that does not work, I will reinstall W7

Thanks again

-EFW

4. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Yes.
    Backup your activation files ( oem cert + key ) with SlicToolkit or whatever you want to use then repave.

5. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #6 CaptainKirk1966, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
    If it were me, I would do a clean install using the Digital River media, then activate with Daz loader. You probably already have a slic 2.1 in bios, which the loader installation app will detect, and activate you without actually installing the loader. Don't bother using the key stuck to the bottom of the laptop. And if possible make recovery disks so you can always return laptop to factory state you never know you may want to sell it on later when maybe upgrading e.c.t

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #7 urie, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    I would as a precaution either backup your existing drivers or download ones from your manufacturers web site just in case windows 7 doesn't install all the necessary ones. Also if you have the option make recovery disks, so you can return the laptop to factory state you never know you may want to sell it at a later date.

7. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Good point, don't blow away the recovery partition, especially if you haven't yet made recovery disks.

8. EFW

EFW MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Fantastic! thanks guys, will look at it tomorrow and go from here. Once again, thankyou.

-EFW

9. EFW

EFW MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Just wanted to let you know, I made a backup, took 5 dvd's, installed W7 Ultimate, MS office, Daz's loader and the minikms, all activated, working great without any bloatware. Thankyou for help and advise guys.

-EFW