Strange Boot Problem Windows 7 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xeonight, Mar 18, 2010.

1. xeonight

xeonight MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
    #1 xeonight, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    I have a weird problem that i think the windows 7 'activator/loader' might have caused.
    here's my HDD setup so far:
    Partition 1: Windows 7 Ultimate (main OS, normal use)
    Partition 2: Windows 7 'Dummy' (installed because it's only way to boot into Partition 1)

The only way to boot into partition 1, is to set partition 2 as active, then select 'Windows 7 Ultimate' on the Windows Boot Manager. If i set partition 1 as active, then reboot, the computer goes through the usual BIOS startup stuff, then there's a black screen with a blinking cursor. It's like 'the tunnel is blocked, so i bulit a road AROUND the mountain'...

I have run the Windows 7 Install disc many times, and have run MANY commands in the repair console, including:

bootrec.exe (bunch of different options, including /fixmbr, /fixboot)
    BCDedit (even more options, /set, /enum, /export)
    Diskpart (setting each partition as active, to see if it will boot from partition 1 or not)

I've also ran the 'Startup Repair' thing many times also. (I've learned what ALOT of these commands can do, but still, CANNOT BOOT FROM THAT FIRST PARTITION!)
    I've also copied all the BCD and Bootmanager etc. files from Partition 2 to Partition 1 and can't see any difference in the 2 C:\Boot\BCD and D:\Boot\BCD (and w/e else there is)

I have also tried certian things with EasyBCD (even breaking the boot process on Partition 2, but fixing it pretty easily with bootrec.exe /rebuildBCD or something like that)

I would like to erase the second partition and get some free space for my first one, but if I do that right now, i would not be able to boot into windows at all.
    Note: i DO NOT want to reinstall windows on first partition again, i like it how it is, and want to keep it that way.

Edit: I just remembered, about a week ago, i reinstalled Windows 7 on Partition 1 (it was time) and still didn't change this problem, i'm guessing the windows installer saw a working boot order and didn't change anything.

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Try making partition 1 "primary active and boot". Delete partition 2. Boot from win7 install disc. Run command prompt then Bootrec.exe and this time use RebuildBCD. This should completely re-write your master boot record and get you booting into windows normally.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xeonight

xeonight MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
    Ok, I'll try that when i get home, i just hope that Deleting Partition 2 won't completely lose my booting ability (don't make sense that it would, but you never know)

Is there a way possible to make the bootup process *think* that partition 2 has been removed from booting? like remove/rename certian files? or will the bootloader still see 2 partitions?

4. CLoNY

CLoNY MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    repair MBR as firest step
    bootrec /fixmbr
    then repair bcd
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If you run RebuildBCD then there is no need to run FixMBR.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. xeonight

xeonight MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
  7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Did you install a loader? Some people have reported similar issues with certain loaders.

8. xeonight

xeonight MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
    i think i did a long time ago, like a few days after 7 came out, but i've since installed a purchased copy over that one. (the whole windows.old thing)

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    ok, well since you reinstalled windows 7 without a loader and the fix commands do not work I would either wait or try google to look for more potential answers or just reinstall again. I would format if you are going to do that too just to be safe.

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  11. xeonight

xeonight MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
    ok, i tried to reinstall windows and still no luck, so, i've started wondering if there was a different way to boot windows, because it's the boot manager that's broken, so maybe i can replace it, like an alternative to windows boot manager. is there one?
    I'm not talking about a 'pre-' boot loader that just loads the windows boot manager when you pick it, i mean a completely different program to load up windows.

12. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    You can mount if your inside windows?

13. xeonight

xeonight MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
    no, i can't boot windows at all, it won't even load the windows boot manager, just a blinking cursor top left of the screen

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I read the posts and didn't see where you reboot then click F8 the repair your computer. Lets us know;)

15. xeonight

xeonight MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
    #17 xeonight, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    (OP)
    i've done that MANY times, and i've also done this a few times also:

all without any change, which is why i think i need to try a different boot loader other than windows boot manager (if they exist)

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  17. alzaabi

alzaabi MDL Junior Member

Aug 27, 2010
    try downloading a new copy