Strange file sharing access in Win 7.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I have two desktops and one notebook computer all with Windows 7. One desktop is hard wired via ethernet cable to my router while the notebook and other desktop are wireless. All machines have Win 7 SP 1 installed and have "Password protected sharing" turned off. I have advanced sharing set on all machines to allow "Everyone" "Full Control, Changes & Read".

The problem occurs when trying to access shared files on the notebook from the two desktops. If I shut down all machines, the first time I try accessing the shared files via the "Network" I can sometimes access them with no problem. The problem occurs when the other 90% of the time, when I am asked for a user name and password. Since there is no password for the notebook, it is impossible to input one! There does not appear to be a pattern as to when I can access files without a password and when I can't, although it seems that I have more success after everything has been off for a while. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this request for a user name and password?

The so called experts at AT&T Connect Tech can't solve this one; I hope someone here is smarter. I'm betting someone is! ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try the steps at social.tech ms forums
    "How to make Windows 7 work with older Windows versions for networking and file sharing"

3. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I'll take a look but since all machines have Windows 7, I'm not holding out much hope. Thanks for the response.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Sounds exactly like my situation. The two machines using Daz's loader are not able to read the notebook without asking for a password.

5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Not 100%, but more often than not.

6. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Please let me know what you find out.