Strange Issue After Change the PC Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tutughosh, Jul 4, 2016.

1. tutughosh

tutughosh MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2012
    #1 tutughosh, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Hello Guys

I am facing a Strange Issue after changing the Hard Drive of my Laptop.

On my Previous Laptop I was using Windows 7 License Version. I changed my Hard drive and used the Same License Key. Now while I was trying to take the Backup from my OLD Drive suddenly the OLD Hard Drive showing Error. It's saying I need to format the Hard Disk(All my Partition). It just happened Suddenly. I was easily transferring my Data from OLD Hard Disk to new one with Hard Drive Enclosure.

I have tried others PC to check if the Hard Drive is working or not but it same.. I test with Data Recovery Tool but none of my Files are showing deleted.. All files are Live as normal just can't able to access normally..

Any one know the issue. Does the Hard Drive was locked by Microsoft as it has an Licensed Key Installed..?

Screenshots of my Disk Manger -
    Many Thanks...

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 pisthai, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If the old HDD it's the original HDD, which came with the laptop, it normally will have a hidden Partition with the Factory Recovery software.

On the other hand, the use of CHKDSK maybe will solve that problem. The Parameters to use with CHKDSK are:
    Code:
    /F    Fixes errors on the disk.
    /V    On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file on the disk.
    /R    Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #3 Joe C, Jul 4, 2016
    Could be the controller on the external drive too. If you can, take the drive out of the external HDD case and try it connected to a sata port on a pc.
    If that does not work you can burn Ultimate Boot CD iso to a cd disk and boot up into Parted Magic and see if you can access the drive's files through that

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tutughosh

tutughosh MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2012
    #4 tutughosh, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Running the "CHKDSK" is able to check the Attached Hard Drive only which is the New One. How can I check it on the OLD One which I can add with "Enclosure"

5. tutughosh

tutughosh MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2012
    I can access the Files using any Data Restore Software. But not only the "User" Folder which Partition has the Installed OS...

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #6 Joe C, Jul 4, 2016
    If it is an OEM drive then it is possible that this drive has a recovery partition. Windows OS files on the C:/ drive are in the C:/ Windows folder, (on the external ...your old...drive)but I'm not sure what good those files could do you

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You will have to add the corresponding Drive Letter to the command in correct order!

8. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Windows has turned everything to a "RAW" File System. Your toast now because Windows can't read these RAW files to transfer the data. I don't know why this happens but I have had this happen to a USB drive, Windows could not read it and wanted to reformat it. DON'T reformat until you get all your information and things off it. You will have to do everything manually now.