Strange Nvidia Graphics Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jimwatts, Jun 20, 2013.

1. jimwatts

jimwatts MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    Hi all,
    I've got a strange problem here.
    I have a system that was working perfect on windows 7 using an inno3d 2gb GT620 graphics card.
    I did a clean install of windows 8....installed to the end then screen just went black as it was about to log into windows.
    Next I tried formatting and reinstalling again... this time using onboard Nvidia graphics... all went perfect...no problems!
    So I then added the GT620 card and restarted to install driver.... it got to just before the log on screen and went black.
    Next I read about how windows 8 tends to try and install a driver for it that then conflicts so I reformatted again and installed windows 8 again this time with internet OFF using onboard card..... all perfect....plugged in GT620 and restarted all ok then just before log on screen ...the swirling loading icon goes multicouloured and breaking up then goes black again.
    Managed to get in in safe mode and install latest driver and reboot......same problem! Gets to just before log on and the swirling loading icon goes multi couloured and breaking up then the screen goes black!
    Starting to wonder if it's a bug with windows 8 as i've never had a problem with Nvidia drivers for that card with windows 7. and if I unplug the card and use the onboard NVidia graphics it's fine. Any ideas?

2. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    I've had this issue, not limited to Windows 8, and not limited to nVidia cards. Assuming that the card has multiple VGA/DVI ports - try connecting the monitor to another port. I was caught out myself when installing Windows 8 on a customer's computer with 2 monitors. He used monitor 2 as his main display, and monitor 1 was turned off, so when I got to the point before login I got the black screen. Turning on the other screen was all I needed to do.

3. P.J

P.J MDL ☂

Jul 30, 2009
    Hope it wasn't Forceware 320.18... :poop:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...