strange occurance

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by coolwalker, Nov 18, 2009.

1. coolwalker

coolwalker MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    Alright...I loaded a retail version of 7 this morning (at home). No problems it seemed. I already had 3 partitions, two of which had operating systems, one XP Pro 64 bit and the other the rtm of 7 and one was strictly for files (the windows section had been removed previously). When the new os loaded I went right away to see my drives and what I saw was that the one partition that had the programs/files I stored was not there. Thje new OS which I labeled "Z" had now become "C", which was the one I wanted to locate.

So I rebooted and sure enough I had 3 choices to make so I took the XP and it loaded with no issues. I went to look at the drives/partitions and sure enough the old "C" was there with all my files intact and working.

So, does anyone know why I can't access those files or even see them when I am in the newest OS? My main issue is my COD files. I play it every night to unwind and I want to play it on the new OS because I have seen a dramatic increase in FPS in the RTO version of 7 (which expires in March). Is there a way to make some kind of link from the XP drive to the new one? I need something that works fairly fast as my time is always limited with 3 young kids and a wife that is a teacher who always wants something when I get ready to play COD. This is no laughing matter, even though it is a bit funny.

2. coolwalker

coolwalker MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    93 people have looked at this and no one has any suggestions?

3. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I really don't fully understand your problem.
    Are you saying that you can't see a partition?

You can run "diskmgmt.msc" and assign a drive letter if there's a partition without a drive letter.

but, again, I don't know if that's your problem, sorry

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Looks like that partition gets hidden whenever booting in your win7.

Try a partitioning software like partition wizard to unhide it.
    Also it seems that there are still some bootfiles/systemfiles on that hidden partition, cause win7 recognizes it as another system or boot partition, and hides it.

Another posability could be (allthough less likely) that it's a dynamic volume, which is offline. Look in -> control panel (large pics view) / system management / computer management / disc management.
    See if that partition is shown as offline. then rightclick it and choose -> bring online.

Also : Try EasyBCD 2.0 to see if your bootmanagement is configured correctly.

5. rdyoung

rdyoung MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    By default windows usually sets the current system drive as "C:". Can you see the drive on which COD is installed in My computer? If not you will need to go into disk management and assign a letter. Not sure how you have it installed, if its a normal install, it may or may not work right in another os without being reinstalled, If however you have a no cd cr*ck for it, the only way I roll with games, then it may be "portable" to some extent...

6. coolwalker

coolwalker MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I will try the 1st suggestion then if that doesn't work I'll look into the 2nd one when I get home tonight. Again I appreciate you suggestion(s), even if they fail to work.

7. coolwalker

coolwalker MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    The Drive which I have renamed to "X" says it's healthy and a Primary Partition, just like the other 2...My "C" drive is Logical Drive...

It simply won't be seen from my latest W7...from my XP pro and the limited W7 I can access it. Any other suggestions?

8. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    So let me if I understand. From Windows 7 you cannot see your Windows xp partition? If this is the case then follow these instructions.

In Windows 7 run diskmgmt.msc or bring up Computer Management->Disk Management from Control Panel. You can then graphically see what drive letter are assigned to which partitions. If the XP partition does not have a drive letter in Windows 7 you can assign one through this interface.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. coolwalker

coolwalker MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    I've got a Drive Letter (X) and it "use to have" an OS in it, but I took it out leaving nothing but files. I can see it and access it through two of 3 OS's, but not through my latest W7. Does this make sense?

10. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    In that case try what genuine555 suggested and see if that fixes it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. coolwalker

coolwalker MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    Gonna' try that, so I'm switching OS's now...c'ya' in-a-bit