Strange physical address on ethernet adapter after flashing bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by sawa, Dec 2, 2013.

1. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Hi,
    please click on the image below:

Przechwytywanie.PNG

As you can see there is 00-11-22-33-44-55. How is it possible? Can I change it?

2. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
  3. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #3 Mutagen, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Wow, that is neat! Should put it up for sale on eBay.

(Decades ago, I worked with a guy whose Social Security number was 555-55-5555. The guy made more money winning bar bets than he did working).

4. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    #4 sawa, Dec 3, 2013
    (OP)
    My MAC address begins with 001122 that belongs to "CINSYS Inc". It should belong to "Realtek" and not to "CINSYS". That's why I want to change the physical address.

BTW. I'm just wondering if Is it possible to have a virus in the BIOS (for example a backdoor)? Do you know if a hacker can do something with this simple and strange MAC address?

5. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #5 windsman, Dec 3, 2013
    The previous link is a archive of codes (the date of the list is old), maybe some codes change.

If you change the Mac adress in bios your adaptater should not working (for sure).

If you think a threat is in your bios (thing that i doubt), just flash it and everything should be original.

windsman.

PS : Normally if you open your computer, a sticker should be on the ethernet adaptater with the MAC adress writing.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    In Device Manager, entry of your NIC, on the Advanced tab, is there anything configured in "Network Address"?

7. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    #9 sawa, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    (OP)
    NIC.PNG

I flashed my BIOS with "5FCN35WW.exe" found on internet that can't be downloaded from the Lenovo official site because they write that "Bios update is not required for this product" (my model is Z580). That's why I also had a question about the virus in the BIOS. I think my MAC address changed for this reason. Am I right?

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    The adapter will work fine if you change it. You just have to make sure no identical addresses exist in the same subnet (behind last router).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Why have you flashed an unofficial BIOS? Is it modified, or does it fix an issue?
    Normally a biosupdate does not change the MAC and keeps the original one. It sounds to me it has been overwritten when you flashed it and it simply shows a default one that it can be addressed at all....
    It also can be the BIOS was obtained from a full dump from another machine...and the MAC address conflict caused a reset to default whilst flashing...

How did you flash it? something with /all switch?

You don't have to be worried of a BIOS virus because of that....it's just a default address which is used when the original becomes overwritten...
    But I do not recommend to flash a BIOS which is not officially available (and modified).

To mod a current one if no update is officially available always use the own dump (backup)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    #12 sawa, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    (OP)
    I flashed the BIOS because I had a problem with boot: the BIOS didn't save the settings for boot priority order.

I flashed the BIOS more than one time. The first time, I flashed it booting from pendrive but I don't own the files on pendrive anymore (I only remember that there was a .rom file). The first method didn't help.
    The second time, I flashed the BIOS by simply double clicking on "5FCN35WW.exe" which has copyright from "Phoenix Technologies Ltd." and I don't know if it's modified. I suppose that the person who shared that file, had the same problem as me and contacted the Lenovo support which sended that file to him. So the second method helped. Now everything is ok, except for the MAC address and UUID Number, that now is different. Please help me.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is really no issue. :)
    Normally each MAC and UUID should be unique identifiers. But any virtual machine can used modified values. Both values seem to be used at M$ activation (installationID). M$ uses them to have reference to the machine activated.

The worst thing that can happen is that M$ product gets deactivated when activated with the original values before.....but that's no issue since you can reactivate it...

Per definition MAC and UUID must not be zero or FFh.
    Would you know your original values?
    If it uses phoenix winphlash one could extract the exe and add into the ini [UI] advanced = 1 to enable advanced settings, AFAIK there can be new DMI entries flashed....not sure if for MAC.....

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    only 2 ways i find it if its not on a sticker
    1: in registry
    2: in router logs

some bios flashes have power to mod the mac address, not many ive seen tho.
    sometimes u can find the chipset and find the mac flash tool

13. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    #15 sawa, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    (OP)
    Yes, it does.

Is it possible to extract the exe without running it? If yes, how can I do it? I'm asking because if I run it, it starts to flash and I can do nothing.
    It's impossible to extract it with 7-zip.

14. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    #17 sawa, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    (OP)
    Universal Extractor.PNG

FindGZ.PNG

Both of them didn't work.
    With FindGZ nothing was extracted.

BTW I'm not sure if this can help us, but in regedit I noticed this:

MAC1.png

MAC2.png

15. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #18 nexus76, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    extract

Just open the exe, in C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\Temp\ExtactTemp there's the extracted folder were the ROM gets uncompressed:

extact.jpg

16. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    #19 sawa, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    (OP)
    Sorry guys, I was pretty sure that the exe file uses Phoenix Winphlash. I just opened it again and I saw that it uses Phoenix SCT Flash, which starts to flash automatically and I can do nothing.
    Unfortunately there isn't any extracted bios in the temp directory.
    I only found some .mo files:

temp.PNG

17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You need to run the SFX on a non-Lenovo PC, perhaps a VM to get the files. Close the error message after grabbing them from TEMP.