Strange problem: Programs won't start

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by misterlolz, Sep 19, 2009.

1. misterlolz

misterlolz MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    #1 misterlolz, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Hi all

I have a really strange problem. When I try to open a program I see the circle near the cursor so windows is loading the program but nothing happens.

Hardware:

System: Dell E521
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
    Memory: 4096 MB
    Harddisk: WD 320 GB + WD 500 GB
    Sound Card: Club 3D Theatron Agrippa 7.1 DTS
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

I've tried 32 bit and 64 bit windows but both don't work. I'm now running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit when I try to start Internet Explorer nothing happens but if I start Internet Explorer 64 Bits it does work?! That's about the only program that works.

A few programs that don't work:

- Internet explorer
    - Windows media player
    - Windows media center
    - Setups

I hope someone knows how to fix this problem.

Edit
    If I check the processes I see all programs that I tried to start

2. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Well I know that there is a virus who automatically hides started x86 .exe from the taskbar, are you sure your ISO was clean or you're not infected?

3. misterlolz

misterlolz MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    I've tried three different ISO's and non of them worked. The ISO I've installed now works just fine by a friend so it has to work for me too.

4. Reginald_Rae

Reginald_Rae MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Check for errors in your hard disk...

5. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    #5 spacednow, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    True, if you wipe your HD before install, run scandisk with fix errors, and definitely don't install 7 over a bad install of 7, that normally jacks things up real bad. If you still have it installed see if you run scandisk from the cmd prompt to check for errors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. misterlolz

misterlolz MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    I've checked both drives for errors, no errors were found. I've now installed windows vista on a 200 GB partition and windows 7 on the other 100 GB (the 500 GB drive only contains data). Vista works whitout problems and the first time I started windows 7 it also worked fine, I was able to install my graphics card driver and the standard Internet Explorer also worked properly. A few minutes later I closed Internet Explorer and tried to start it again .... Nothing! After a reboot it still didn't work, the only thing thats works is Internet Explorer 64 bits.

7. chrisborst

chrisborst MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    I have the same problem. Its the Theatron Agrippa that is the problem. After I installed this sound card, I had the exact same problem. After uninstalling the soundcard the problem was over.
    So I´am no looking for a different soundcard.

8. misterlolz

misterlolz MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    OK, so the soundcard driver is the problem :(. I bought the card a few months ago and I quite like it so I'm not going to buy another one ... Thanks for the replies, I will use windows vista as long as there's no fix for this problem.

9. misterlolz

misterlolz MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    I've found the solution to fix this problem.
    You have to install the driver using the windows device manager.

10. chrisborst

chrisborst MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    I installed the soundcard with device manager, and the problem is solved. I only can't get the sound to work.
    For now i'am using the crappy realtek soundchip.

11. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Is there still a market out there for aftermarket sound cards? I thought with the advent of Vista there is no hardware accelerated sound so there was no need to make sound cards more advanced than the HDAudio chipset ones.

12. mattb2000

mattb2000 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2010
    Fixed My Similar Issue

Hi Guys, I had the same issue with programs not loading in win 7, 32 bit. Nothing would load, the program would simply try and load for 5 secs and then nothing happened.

Eventually the solution was:
    Start PC in safemode
    Go to Run: msconfig
    Remove startup programs, the one that caused my issue was an old sound card driver.