strange problem with Foxconn A55mx MB after bios flash

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mod81, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mod81

mod81 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    #1 mod81, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Hi, i am having a strange problem with a foxconn A55MX board after i flashed a SLIC modded bios to it.
    Prior to flashing the modded bios the PC would POST fine but since i flashed the bios it wont POST after a warm reset or shutdown until i remove the power from the back of the PC and leave it out for at least 30 seconds. LEDs light up and the fan goes around but no output.
    I restored the defaults in the bios and tried again but still the same, have to remove the power from the PSU after shutting down or restarting to get it on again. I have cleared the CMOS from the jumper on the board without this problem being solved.
    I decided to reflash the original BIOS from the foxconn website but this is doing the same even with the original bios, tried flashing from Windows and then from DOS and it doesn't seem to cure the problem. I thought it may have been the PSU that was the problem so swapped this with a known working one without success.
    This is the second one of these motherboards that i have this problem with, took the first one back and got it exchange then it started doing this after i flashed the modded bios on the replacement so its obviously a problem with the modded bios but why is it still doing it even after i re-flashed with an unmodded bios from the foxconn website?
    Is there a way to flash the original bios that will put it back to how it was when i first received it?

BTW ran mem test on the pc and no problems found there

I used these setting when flashing the bios
    AFUDOS B73F1P01.ROM /P /B /N

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    make a backup.rom first from good working bios.

3. mod81

mod81 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    #3 mod81, Feb 5, 2013
    (OP)
    to make a backup of the working bios now would involve having to return the motherboard yet again for an exchange and i was hoping to resolve this without needing to go back to the store.
    I am convinced its just some corruption of the bios but don't know how to fix :/

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #4 LatinMcG, Feb 5, 2013
    problem is then u didnt make a backup.rom before flashing.. both boards

B73F1P02.rom is the recovery filename .. EFI/Insyde type.

try F1P01 version ??

5. mod81

mod81 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    yes unfortunately i didn't do a backup on either occasion :eek:
    I downloaded both B73F1P01 and B73F1P02 and tried flashing both but neither fixes the warm reset/reboot problem.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    reset bios by cmos reset jumper.

7. mod81

mod81 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    Hi, i have tried that, but it still won't post after a reboot.

8. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Seems very strange that your MB is a replacement and giving the same issues as the original. Looks like the problem may be other hardware or software related and not the motherboard. The only time i have ever encounted a similar problem to you was on a old socket 939 motherboard. I think the problem was bad memory and PSU. Try using motherboard graphics, 1 stick memory and just a single hard drive. A spare known good psu might also be useful to eliminate problems caused by other hardware.
    BTW - what the os you are using

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. mod81

mod81 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    As i mentioned both motherboards were working without any issue until after i flashed it them as otherwise i would suspect a hardware problem myself, and i have already swapped out the psu and memory from my other PC just to make sure but to no avail. I am flashing from freedos with the bios rom on a spare 40gb SATA hard drive formatted with FAT32, but using Windows 7 on the PC. I checked the drive to make sure it wasn't a problem with the hard drive that i was flashing from to ensure it wasn't a bad drive.
    It doesn't even POST after going into the BIOS, changing some setting then choosing save and exit. Have to pull out the power for 30 seconds then it will POST.

Someone else recommended flashing the bios then power off the system and clear CMOS from the jumper on the board before powering on after flash, i tried that also and still not working.

11. mod81

mod81 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    #12 mod81, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    (OP)
    Ok, i have managed to get hold of another identical motherboard and backed up the BIOS from that one and restored the backed up BIOS onto the motherboard with the problem. This has sort of fixed the problem with it not POSTing but its not completely resolved. It now won't POST perhaps 1 out of 5 times where it was every time with the other bios versions.
    I looked at bios versions and they say they are the same (B73F1P02) so i am a little confused as to why the BIOS from the foxconn website would not work correctly when i flashed.
    I even tried swapping the actual BIOS chips over between the boards and it still wasn't working perfect so perhaps there is something else wrong on the board. So I think the motherboard will have to go back to the supplier though as i am out of things to try

12. mod81

mod81 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    Ok. A final update on this motherboard situation. It turns out it was the RAM that was causing the problem. I found no errors when i ran memtest so i assumed it was ok but when i swapped the DIMM for another one from a different PC it would boot up without issue.
    I guess that the faulty RAM might be the reason why the BIOS updates were not working correctly as well.

13. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    That's great news that you finally resolved the problems.
    It most probably is true that you had other hardware issues in modding this MB

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    seen it before.. Kingston had a bad batch of ram 1 gb sticks in 2007 that memtest didnt detect error.