Strange problem with Windows 10 upgrade activation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kmmng, Aug 16, 2015.

1. kmmng

kmmng MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    #1 kmmng, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    I'm trying to make an all-in-one setup for part of editions of Windows 10. I intend to use it both for free upgrading computers with genuine Win7 and for clean installs. I want to use ei.cfg file in the sources folder to enable skipping product key at the beginning and for more customizations, but there is one strange problem with this.
    When there is an ei.cfg file in the sources folder, no matter what it contains, and I upgrade Win7 that is activated properly, at the end of the upgrade Windows 10 is NOT activated and I cannot activate it by any way (other than using KMS).
    If there is no ei.cfg, Windows 10 is ACTIVATED at the end of the upgrade and have permanent store license.
    I have tested this on several machines, with different variations of the settings in ei.cfg, and always the same result. Why is this happening ?

2. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    For upgrade you need to set the ei.cfg to RETAIL CHANNEL

3. kmmng

kmmng MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    This is not working. I have tried to set the channel to Retail, to OEM, to _Default, and to leave it empty, nothing works. The upgrade completes but Windows 10 is not activated. I have checked the channel after the upgrade with "slmgr /dlv", and it shows RETAIL channel and the generic serial that ends with 3V66T, but Windows is not activated.
    Trying the same process WITHOUT ei.cfg and Windows 10 activated, slmgr shows the same RETAIL channel, the same 3V66T serial, but the activation is present. Why can it be ???