Strange Quirks in Mint 18.1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Nimbus2000, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    I have been experiencing some odd problems with Mint 18.x (these issues are also in Ubuntu 16.04, so I believe it is an upstream problem).

For a little more info, 17.x was rock solid. Since updating I have had video issues with a PC connected via a KVM switch. When I toggle to another computer, the 18.1 machine completely shuts off video output. When I toggle back to it, the video display is blank. This is not a screensaver or power saving issue. I finally found a work around. Prior to switching, I open a terminal window and enter:

xrandr --output VGA-1 --auto

Then, when I switch back to it, I simply press the enter key and video output is restored. I know this is clunky, but it works until I find a better solution.

The other issue is a laptop that WiFi comes and goes randomly. I am not talking about dropped connections, rather the wireless adapter is not detected. Boot the laptop and WiFi is connected. A short time later it disconnects. Some times it comes back on it's own, other times it requires logging out or rebooting.

I recently decided to switch to another Debian based distro, MX-16 on the desktop and LMDE 2 (Betsy) on the laptop until I can find solutions for these minor, but irritating, 18.x problems.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Nimbus2000

What's the exact model of the WLAN adapter?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    From lspci:

Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

inxi reports that Mint Debian is using the ath9k driver.

This is a Haswell based HP laptop that has been rock solid with 17.x and is again with LMDE2.

4. kero48

kero48 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    Just a quick comment, I used to try each and every new linux mint that came out but after I while I learned to wait at least 4-6 months before trying a new release. Most were always buggy out of the gate, which can be expected.

They made great distros for those looking for alot in one package. I stick with LUBUNTU now and rarely if ever experience any issues of any kind on many different boxes.