Strange Quirks in Mint 18.1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Nimbus2000, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    I have been experiencing some odd problems with Mint 18.x (these issues are also in Ubuntu 16.04, so I believe it is an upstream problem).

For a little more info, 17.x was rock solid. Since updating I have had video issues with a PC connected via a KVM switch. When I toggle to another computer, the 18.1 machine completely shuts off video output. When I toggle back to it, the video display is blank. This is not a screensaver or power saving issue. I finally found a work around. Prior to switching, I open a terminal window and enter:

xrandr --output VGA-1 --auto

Then, when I switch back to it, I simply press the enter key and video output is restored. I know this is clunky, but it works until I find a better solution.

The other issue is a laptop that WiFi comes and goes randomly. I am not talking about dropped connections, rather the wireless adapter is not detected. Boot the laptop and WiFi is connected. A short time later it disconnects. Some times it comes back on it's own, other times it requires logging out or rebooting.

I recently decided to switch to another Debian based distro, MX-16 on the desktop and LMDE 2 (Betsy) on the laptop until I can find solutions for these minor, but irritating, 18.x problems.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Nimbus2000

What's the exact model of the WLAN adapter?

3. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    From lspci:

Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

inxi reports that Mint Debian is using the ath9k driver.

This is a Haswell based HP laptop that has been rock solid with 17.x and is again with LMDE2.

4. kero48

kero48 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    Just a quick comment, I used to try each and every new linux mint that came out but after I while I learned to wait at least 4-6 months before trying a new release. Most were always buggy out of the gate, which can be expected.

They made great distros for those looking for alot in one package. I stick with LUBUNTU now and rarely if ever experience any issues of any kind on many different boxes.