Strange WEI score

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ian82, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I had an ASUS G73Sw 1 month back which had an i7 2.0/2.9 Ghz. Sandy Bridge and it used to get 7.4 in the Windows Index Experience score

I returned that notebook because it was full of problems and the screen die within one month...

So I got a Toshiba L750 with a faster CPU which is an i7 Sandy Bridge running @ 2.2 Ghz. / 3.10 Ghz.

But to my surprise, the WEI score of the CPU components is 7.2. I tried running the test a few times but it didn't change.

One thing I noticed that may seem to affect the score is that when the CPU test is running, I notice in the Turbo Boost Monitor that the CPU isn't throttling to full speed and it is staying @ 2.2. Ghz. but during other tests of WEI it does go up to 2.8 - 3 Ghz.

What gives? I know I could probably run a program called Throttle stop and have the score higher but shouldn't it throttle to full speed as this is a CPU test?

I know some Notebook have a problem in the BIOS that causes this but during my app usage I have no problems with throttling as the CPU does jump up to 2.8 / 3 GHz. when I load any application so the Turbo Boost is kicking in but why not in that WEI test?

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks

PS: I am running the latest BIOS from Toshiba v3.10

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    Different components with different characteristics. Even if the components have the exact same specs, no two are exactly alike; all components operate within certain tolerances. Those varying characteristics cause different WEI calculations.

The WEI is a guide only, not an absolute. If your computer is doing what you want it to then you should disregard the WEI altogether. There are a lot of people who feel the index is weighted incorrectly when it automatically gives you an overall score equal to your lowest instance. Who cares? The machine doing what you want is all that matters.

Besides, you can change the displayed scores with a simple editor and the operating characteristics of your machine will not change. That alone tells me a whole lot about the worthlessness of the WEI.

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    #3 ian82, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. digithief

digithief MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2010
    base on lowest score (used to be Graphics)

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012