Stuck at 99% for 18 hours ...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Orgon, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Orgon

Orgon MDL Junior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    #1 Orgon, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Since june 28 W10 Upgrade Assistant grants my version English US W7 X64 Ultimate (post SP1), and is without any additional kb updates installed, to be exchanged for new OS by Microsoft free upgrade [ending 29 July].The upgrade to new OS began at 15:51 hours and is from 22:28 hours stuck at 99% while no internet browser is on but internet connection via cable allows (<== supposedly?) the upgrade tool to “do its’ job” during the night.But still after more than 12 hours “online” with Microsoft servers the W10 Upgrade Assistant is stuck at the 99% completion.[And 99% isn’t 100%]! The system SSD has 418GB free out of 465GB so there is more than enough space for OS and disabled WU in Control Panel to never update software [W7]. Instead of using IE in W7, Google Chrome is the "third party application" used for my Internet browsing.However, I don’t believe that the Chrome browser is the culprit here as to my understanding of the upgrade is that it “removes” any unnecessary foreign software that Microsoft is not allowing with W10.
    Also my Outlook 2010 is not working; W10 Upgrade Assistant overruled that I should install a different Office suite after the upgrade to W10 Pro is running on system SSD.
    So what am I doing wrong (if at all I am doing anything bad with the install over Genuine W7 Ultimate with dedicated PID ) by following the steps Microsoft has instructed end users to follow?
    Help is appreciated as the free upgrade only has hours left before it is going to inform me that $$$ must be deposited for the OS.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. andruszd

andruszd MDL Novice

May 26, 2011
    This is not the actual update , this thew download part i believe. you should have used the upgraded to to create a bootable media first then just stream over the internet as i have had issue before with this. also it would be advisable to get your win 7 up to at least sp1 for it to install ok. Just to be aware if the software distribution location is corrupt this will also stall the update.:mad:

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #4 Enthousiast, Jul 29, 2016
    Haven't read the whole post (the stories are getting longer and longer and unreadable for me).

Just restart the system, re-run WU or download a working MSDN iso and do it manually.

4. Orgon

Orgon MDL Junior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    #5 Orgon, Jul 29, 2016
    (OP)
    Wow, after 24 hours and 37 minutes of constant online connection with W 10 Upgrade Assistant => I arrived to computer and … voilà new promising message from M$: “we have upgraded your computer”.
    All my files is left intact as before and my favorite browser - I'm typing from it now - is activated as well.
    If W10 will come out with updates and I will use Edge for some functions (as back up to Chrome) then selecting the right options of kbs to download is then my choice.
    W 10 Pro is running on SSD and I have OS built, new PID and version running :clap:.

Maybe M$ "throttled" the installation due to heavy overload because of July 29?
    Anyway
    Thank you a lot for all your efforts.

P.S.

I am truly very sorry for ALL the (unecessary) text.

5. Orgon

Orgon MDL Junior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    #7 Orgon, Jul 29, 2016
    (OP)
    Děkuju mnohokrát
    Nabudúce toto riešiť na vášho odkazu
    M$ vylepšila OS

I hope the translation is correct :eek: ?
    Thank you very much

6. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Now that you got the digital license Dont forget to clean install, a upgrade is NEVER as good as a clean install

7. Orgon

Orgon MDL Junior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Hello

Clean install is better than upgrade but the system disk had some of the previous files (mostly Word documents) left on the drive before the transition that can be manually deleted afterwards, because I did not want to format for loosing yet more space that the NTFS does.
    You’re correct that the digital license helps me in case I will format the drive and perform a clean install.

I’ll keep that in mind.

Thank you

8. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Now that you upgraded you can go ahead and backup your valuable files and perform a clean install with a Windows10 iso from USB or DVD