Stuck in boot loop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ThomasMann, Jan 26, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    My desktop is stuck in a bootloop...
    I googled what was googlable, but nothing was found that dealt with a boot loop that only takes about one second. This also seems to be too fast for any of the F2 F6 or F11 keys to manage to sqeeze in.
    Which means I cannot boot from the usual USB stick, or the DVD. The loop is so short, that I cannot even open the DVD drive for a disc.
    I disconnected both drives in the computer and connected the SSD with the Macrium clone, but it makes absolut no difference.
    Switching off the power is the one way to stop the loop and after switching it back on, pressing the start button, the fans can be seen turning, then after one second a beep and it is switched off... starts again.... off again
    It never gets to a stage where anything appears on the display...

How do break that cycle?

Thanks

2. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Did you try spamming DELETE, F2, etc to enter BIOS/UEFI?

3. That sounds like a memory error. Does the monitor show something and what does the beep code mean?

4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    That is what I wrote... the loop lasts about one second, so it never gets that far.

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    As I wrote... It never gets that far, the loop frequency is too short. I guess the beep is simply the sound the computer makes right before it is shut down, just to start all over again..

6. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    So it's a hardware problem. Why did you post in Windows 7 subforum?

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Most probably, because I did not know it would be hardware problem? Why is it a hardware problem?

8. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    Well, it's not a Windows related problem if it cannot boot into BIOS/UEFI. Do you have a BIOS programmer? I don't know if there is any other way to fix it besides reflashing, maybe not even that.

9. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    It also sounds like bad memory to me. Try disconnecting all drives, and remove all memory sticks. Insert memory sticks one at a time, and see if it boots to the BIOS screen.

10. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    What is described is probably:
    a) bad memory - remove both sticks(keep any storage/optical drives disconnected as well) and turn the machine on - if everything else is ok, you should get bios beeps for memory issues(assuming you have a speaker connected to the board);
    b) bad bios - needs reprogramming

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you...
    No memory "problem" can interfere with the computer start button that early...
    But I am indeed already corresponding with ASRock about how to inject the bios set-up in a not running computer. I will let you know the outcome, thank you...

12. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Ok, good luck with whatever reinventing-the-wheel you got going on over there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    #13 case-sensitive, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    and i ' think ' ............ computer esoterics are computer esoterics ............ what ever happened to sensible proceures ? ............. like .......... i have a problem and i dont know what it is .......... so i start off with ........ take the computer apart and clean it ............ then i put it back together checking that everything is connected properly ........ with the minimum of things connected ........... Then i try to get into bios ............ and if i cant .......... ( swap partrs and try again ............. if it still wont work ) ............ throw the s**t away :)

Edit ......... Thomas ....... How did you get into the situation ? Did it just ' happen ' or did you do something ? Change something ?

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :D Funny. This stupid > @ThomasMann behaves like that in many of his n00b threads.

15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Basically I did exactly what you suggested in your post.... and after a few hours...
    it worked again just fine. No idea what actually made the difference... :)

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Seems, unlike you, I have found many more interesting and more important things in life, than digitalisation...
    So I spent exactly as much effort on my computer as necessary, and if I do not something, I ask.

But I am always willing to learn, so tell me: What role may a malfunctioning memory play, in the very first second of the boot process?

17. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    When ask for help learn to provide relevant infos

You don't even mention if it's a notebook or a desktop.

Reset your bios, remove the main battery if it's a notebook, google for any power reset sequence if it's a notebook.

At least provide make and model here.

18. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    When trying to help, check the date of the request.... and if the problem has been resolved a while ago.
    B.t.w... what was needed was to unplug it completely and wait a minute before reconnecting