Stuck on Configuring Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Win7exp, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Win7exp

Win7exp MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Does anyone have this problem

I did a clean install of Windows 7 x64

and after downloading and installing the updates, i get the message "configuring Windows Updates" and it wont go past 15%, just sits there, while the circle is still moving.

it just sits there for over an hour or so, does not do anything

Please help

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Shut down and restart.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Win7exp

Win7exp MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I did, like 10 times, just sits there at 15%

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    If I had this problem, the easy way out would be to reinstall windows 7. Did you make a system image of win 7 without updates. That will also help. If you made a system image but not a repair disc, you can boot with install dvd and restore to that image.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    System restore could possibly get you out of this (press F8 at boot), but I second a reinstall.

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    System restore is a hit and miss in windows 7 whereas System image works all the time. For system restore, Insert install dvd, reboot, repair not install, and select system restore (from 5 options). From then on, you may or may not see the system restore point before you installed the updates which is causing this problem. System restore can take 1 min or hours or you may get another process screen with no end.

7. Win7exp

Win7exp MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    im gonna try to use a different hard drive, clean install windows, make a system image, then try to install the updates.