Student Select License - Can I use regular media?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by m0gely, Jan 5, 2010.

1. m0gely

m0gely MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2008
    I am going to go over to a friends house tonight to help her install Win7. Her media isn't going to get her until tomorrow but I can only help tonight. I was going to use my Win7 DVD I made from instructions here to install, and just not use a product key so she can enter that in later. If I use my media and install the matching version to what she bought, will her key work? I'm only unsure because this is a "Student Select" license and I don't know if there is a difference in the media. Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MasterHacker

MasterHacker MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    With Windows 7 the dvd should be same for each edition.

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    There should be no problem but you must install the same version as she has a key for.That is she must have a key for Home Premium if you install Home Premium or Ultimate for Ultimate etc.

If your DVD allows for all versions then no worries - just choose the one to install. If not you can use the Remove ei.cfg file to modify your DVD - read up on how to do that - it's on the forums.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. m0gely

m0gely MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2008
    Right. Thanks guys. That's what I thought I just wanted someone else to agree!

5. m0gely

m0gely MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2008
    Well crap. She got the media and it's an upgrade disc. When she puts in the product key, it complains that it's not for full installations. Is there a way to make Win7 think it was an upgrade after it's been installed so I can use the "upgrade" product key? WinXP was on the computer, but I moved it aside and did a fresh install as I don't like upgrades.