studio xps 9100 bricked

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by joeybats, Jan 28, 2012.

1. joeybats

joeybats MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    hi all
    yesterday i updated my bios and it froze during the update process. Now my computer won't even show the dell boot screen at the beginning, can not press f2/f12. power button is a solid amber.
    Is there anything I can do to fix this? I took out the CMOS battery for 30 minutes, it did nothing.
    Can I use this program in the following link? (oops, need more posts, here's thread title)

"Dell Bios Editing / Removing Bios Lock / Changing Service / Asset Tag Software here"

I tried burning it to dvd, and also extracted it to usb flash, but the screen is just blank. :(
    KingEdwards said it could fix corrupted bios, thought that might be my problem, since it didn't update properly.
    can anyone help me? Dell light is on in front of computer, solid amber power button, but absolutely nothing shows up on monitor.

2. joeybats

joeybats MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    wow, thanks so much for this. I will try this tomorrow afternoon. It's getting late here and if I start this stuff now I won't be able to sleep.
    let you know how it goes tomorrow.

3. joeybats

joeybats MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    #4 joeybats, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
    (OP)
    hi Ipmark
    I do not have a floppy drive, just a blu-ray and dvd drive. Would using a usb flash work? I f so, I change the .bin extension to .rom? and I leave out the other 10 files? (AFUWINx64.exe, GPCIDrv.sys, Mix5800.exe, etc.)

Edit: I changed flash.bin to AMIBOOT.rom , I tried putting it on a usb flash, but did not do anything. When I power it up the usb flashing once, then nothing. I tried disconnecting the hard drive and bd and dvd drives, no change.
    The AMIBOOT.rom (flash.bin) file is 4.56 mb in size. Also I tried pressing Cntrl+home, that didnt work, I don't think keyboard is on.
    Would creating a bootable cd with imgburn work? i look at it a bit, but is confusing. Method 3 explains how to create bootable floopy, does that apply to a CD too?

4. joeybats

joeybats MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    i did method 3, but instead of using minidos I had to use Win98boot, cause with minidos it said it could not do it in fat32 format. I was able to create bootable usb, I added the two things.
    But still, nothing..I try to force it by pressing ctrl and home, but nothing, i think my keyboard is not on, like it hasn't been enable by the boot, or something.

5. dawntodon

dawntodon MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2012
    So does that mean you tried creating a bootable cd and booting from it?

6. joeybats

joeybats MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    i tried doing bootable cd a few times, my last post where i referred to method 3, i used usb flash. I failed on all accounts, and got a new motherboard.