Stupid mistake

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by lumpy4900, Mar 22, 2011.

1. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    Last week I downloaded and installed a copy of windows seven ultimate after reading that it was legal to do so because certain parts of the program had been removed. I know, stupid.
    I ran it for three days and figured it was not worth the risk so I wiped both drives and reinstalled xp which I know is legal cause I bought it. Problem is now my optical drives are not working. dvd-rw and a cdr. What I really cant understand is they work perfect till I start down loading updates and installing service packs. I replaced hard drives last month and reinstalled xp and everything worked fine.
    So, What could of happened putting windows 7 on here that would make my optical drives fail.
    Thanks for any help.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks, It ran a scan and said it couldnt repair.

4. AnoopSudhakaran

AnoopSudhakaran MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2011
    Did you consider reinstalling the Optical Drive Drivers after the reinstall?

5. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    yes. If I restore back to the point just before I start getting all my updates from windows update both my drives work fine. Also something that some one had the same problem and found that if they removed hotfix 837272 that all was well. Just have not got to hunting it down to see if thats it.
    I just dont understand how a few weeks ago I put new hard drives in and everything run perfect. Some times I just really hate computers.

6. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hello m8
    I reckon 911medic is right....upper and lower filters, although the ms fix should have sorted it......just to be 100% sure save this text as user.reg and run it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "LowerFilters"=-
    "UpperFilters"=-

7. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    Well, After all the reading and trying every thing I could. I finally got a new dvd-rw and it is working perfect now. Thanks for the help. Learned a few things which is always good. I have done alot of reading here and wish I would of found this forum long ago. Alot of very helpfull info here.
    Still not sure it was all the burner but it was bad. Will probably never know just why it would work good till updates were applied but dont matter now cause this one is working fine and all my updates are installed.
    Thanks again for the help. You'll be seeing alot more of me. Have lots of reading to do.

8. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    :laie::laie: