Suddenly my windows ist not activated

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jack192, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jack192

jack192 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    I have an Asus G53jw, with win7 preinstalled. Since i hate the bloated version of asus, full of pointless stuff, i've nuked the entire disk, grab a win7 install disk, and do do the slmg trick to load the cert and the serial key taken from another post in this forums, and free 40gb of space filled with the recovery image wich i didin't want at all. That worked flawlessly 9 months ago.

Today while i was gaming, i've enconunter a mensage that my windows copy was not genuine and all that s**t trying to sell my ANOTHER windows license (do they think that i collect shinny stickers at $200 each?)

Since i wasn't able to activate windows, and nothing was working, I started from the bottom, cheacking the slic tables, but, surprise! I have no slic tables! Slic toolkit says "Slic table not Found", R&W everything doesn't shows the slic tab, and everest (well AIDA) doesn't show the word slic anywhere.

So my questions is What the hell is going on here? how could i activate windows 9 months ago, and now i cant? And how could this happen if I didn't have Slic tables from the beginning? (And how could i have no slic tables, if the computer comes with win7 preinstaled?)

So if anyone could point me in the right direction to see what has happened, i'll be very glad, since right now, i have no idea what the hell is happening

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Another idea... updating to the latest bios and check with SLIC Toolkit again??

3. jack192

jack192 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    First, thank for the ideas.

I've also tried to read the SLIC table from linux, with no luck.

And i'm using the lastest bios from asus, so updating is not an option (in fact, when i was checking the version with the asus flash program it tells me that the bios is newer than the image supplied and doen't allows me to flash)

So could te bios be corrupted? my system is running fine, so i gess not, and the posibilities of only the slic table getting corrupted are minimal.

4. jack192

jack192 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    I'll search that tool, it could be handy

Fun fact: everest (and universal bios backup toolkit) reports that my computer has an AMI bios. If i try te tool for modding the ami bios it says "not an ami bios" and if i try the phoenix one, it works, and says in te text area "slic string found".
    Well, it's getting better as the time goes on (and don't worry, i have no intention right now, of flashing that quickly modded bios image)

Anyway, since i have a second hdd, i'll try installing windows into it first. then if that diddint work, well, i'll think about it when the time comes

isn't any way to check the slic tables with a liveCD without using windows? or from bios file? I'm pretty sure that computer has slic 2.1, since I activated windows 9 months ago (and right now i don't remember pretty well, but i think that i checked for slic 2.1, an it was present)

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #5 urie, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    According to asus web page latest version of bios is 211 I also noticed there is dos Aflash2 Utility rather than the Windows BIOS Flash Utility the dos version would update the bios. Personally I do not think it is corrupt bios more like corrupt system or malware.

P.S. your bios does have SLIC 2.1 I also checked it with AndyP's phoenixtool.

6. jack192

jack192 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    i also think the same, but the fact that in linux de SLIC tables doesn't show up is puzzling, antlough i have a very minimalistic kernel, so i could have left out some modules.

Anyway, right now i'm doing a clean install, and i'll try to activate . We'll see if it works, and if the mesagge pops out after the updates

7. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I work with an Asus as well and res installed win7 ultimate 64 bits as you did a while back however all is alright. Did you give Daz loader a go; just wondering how it will error out if it does!

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. jack192

jack192 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    I've completed the clean install of windows, and slic toolkit says the same. And reflashing the bios to the latter version does nothing (altough this is pointles, sinthe the flased version was the lastest, but anyway)

@urie, thanks for the help, i think that my compurter has no slic tables at all, MGAdiag says "BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table" so i dont understand anything. If my comperter hasn't the slic tables, how could i been able to activate it in the first place?

if you want the full results are at pastebin.com/2e8TAXu6

@hbhb I haven't tried any loader, since i prefer the bios method, and at first it worked for me.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I still don't understand even on the asus webpage it says windows 7 for your model are you certain this is the same dvd you used before to install windows 7. Did you make recovery DVD's before deleting recovery partition can you restore to factory install.

11. jack192

jack192 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    humm... i think that the last time i installed windows (appart from the one from today) i used the same DVD (well, they comed from the same image, but the last had the ei.cfg archive removed). Anyway, why i could activate windows then, and not now is a mistery. And how could asus ship windows 7 preinstaled without a bios with slic tables? why the mod tool says "slic string foud at..." when it loads the image?

So now, what, sould i start investigating how to mod the bios to insert the damm slic tables, or i'm missing something and the bios already has the slic tables? i have no problem with modding the bios, but i prefer leaving it alone, sice it shoud had the tables already.

12. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    weird dude, keep us posted. I for one will just try DAZ loader, that is not any loader.IT is 100% safe and Daz is around and helpful. I never bother updating Bios just to avoid probs, Asus had like 2 updates which i both skipped. Good luck my man, i am sure someone have been that road

13. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    Did your PC use an Non-OEM Retail KEY for activation ?
    Look for the M$ Sticker with a serial key on the bottom of the laptop.

14. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Yup I am thinking along this line as well perhaps the previous install is non OEM ?

15. jack192

jack192 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Well, that was the only thing tath could make sense, (but how i managed to activate taht windows?) maybe the oem keys i used (taken from a thread in thisforum) was just blacklisted for online activation, an i wasn't performing a offline activation but an online one?

Anyway, tomorrow i'll post how is going