SugarSync alternative

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by stephenjones007, Jan 25, 2014.

1. stephenjones007

stephenjones007 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    Now that sugar sync is going to a paid model, does anyone know an alternative that did all that sugarsync did? Mainly I found the feature to sync any folder on my pc very useful (instead of having everything in a single folder to be synced like most other cloud services). Also, if there are any programs that would do this locally to a networked hard drive that would be helpful.

To clarify my needs, I have 6+pc and macs in my home that have certain programs that update data everytime they run. What I did was sync their data folder with sugarsync so everytime I turn on a device, the latest data would be available to the programs. I do not use all the devices at the same time. Dropbox for example would no work as i would need to move the data files to the dropbox folder.

2. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 LostED, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    #4 leebo_28, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. stephenjones007

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks guys, will check them out. I always wonder why the rest of cloud services dont offer any folder sync.

5. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    You need to be careful, not all syncs work will all cloud services, as with Mega, their sync only works with their cloud service. I don't know which cloud service(s) you use but I have yet to find a sync that works will ALL of my services. This is why I have switched over to Yunio, you get 1TB cloud storage for free then 1GB every time you use it. 1TB is probably all I will ever need, I download their sync app and am good to go. :clap:

If you do find a sync that works with all of your cloud services chances are it's going to be a paid service, seems a lot of the better ones are leaning that way these days. :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cookie1

cookie1 MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2012
    Yunio (w*w.yunio.c*m), if you do not mind rather poor download and upload speeds and help files available in Chinese only.

7. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
  8. Metalollie

Metalollie MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2013
    I use Cubby.. Superb piece of software, runs very well.. Simply make any folder a Cubby and it syncs automatically. It has IOS and Android apps as well. Comes with 5gb, with the opportunity to earn more free space.
    Another, albeit slightly more cumbersome piece of software is Bitcasa, which has 5gb, and mirrors files.. It also keeps backup copies of files for 30 days, so you can access any changes, lost files etc. It's probably the more powerful of the toe, but less intuitive.

i run both, as I like to keep files well and truly backed up, but out of the two, Cubby is my favourite.. It's as easy, if not easier, than Sugarsync.

Another that springs to mind is Ubuntu One, though that can be a bit temperamental, and if it loses an internet connection, has a tendency to decide files are conflicted and rename them! Probably best to stay away from that one!

9. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
  10. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    ahh I guess I got it when they had a special offer

11. stephenjones007

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys, checking them out now. Im also looking at some nas here like the qnap and synology to have all the files locally on my network.