Suggest Antivirus

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion MDL Junior Member

May 13, 2014
    Suggest me some good and light security software (antivirus software) for my i3,i5 system both running Windows 7

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would simply use a Hardware Firewall Like Netscreen 25/50 from Juniper Networks or a 'Semi-'Hardware Firewall Apps Like Smoothwall Express. Just google for info and you'll get all you need to know!!

As the above mentioned Netscreen 25/50 Series isn't produced anymore, the new are the SRX 110, 220, 300 and other from Juniper, the Netscreen 25/50 could be found on eBay for a damn cheap price! Correctly programmed, the Netscreen is as good as a Cisco Hardware Firewall, and those are still quite expensive even as Used products!!

On the end of the day, it's allways depend on how paranoid you're about the security! A simple fact is, the Security Industry are pushing for the highest possible level of fear of user and make a lot money with that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Arnie25

Arnie25 MDL Junior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Shoot me down in flames; I use msessentials, have done for over a year now.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    MSE is fine unless you're running a digital audio system. In that case, You need to disable real-time scanning, as it will screw up your DAW's MIDI / audio timing.

In this specific case, I would recommend using malwarebytes and performing scans whenever you update your music products, or if you surf with your DAW system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  6. jadinolf

jadinolf MDL Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Rather than suggest an antivirus program, I suggest they download the program and give it a try. If they like it- stick with it. If not, try another one.

I did that years ago and now I am very happy using ..... not telling.;)

7. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    ermmm......none........;):eek:

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have to disagree on MSE, which is not only worse than even Avast, but, as the questioner like myself is using Win7, I wouel not want anything by MS on my computer, that can acces everything AND mail it home ....

malwarebytes the free version works perfectly well. Just click on scan (NOT: scan now!!!), click custom scan, then configure scan, click everything that is offered there, and ask to be warned ONLY about findings...

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I agree with that. :biggrin:
    ALL OF THEM have disadvantages that should not be accepted. Use malwarebytes the way Michaela recommends that is more than enough, as long as you do not behave like a moron with your incoming e-mails and the software you download.

I have been using this system for many years now, and believe me, I am all over the place and not ONCE had a problem.

10. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
  11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #14 Bat.1, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Up until around two or three Months ago My "Hobby" was "Playing with Fire" o_O Oh, I meant downloading and testing Crapware infested torrents. Outside of maybe the Professionals, I doubt if there's very many people who installed as much Malware and Adware in the two Years before I stopped as I did. I run MSE/Defender combined with Malwarebytes. Short of a few PuPs that SaS found because the Defender/Malwarebytes definitions hadn't been updated yet, the Combo hasn't failed Me Yet. I will admit to having come across some things so dangerous I not only deleted the VM OS, I also deleted the Host OS too even though I was "almost positive" the bugs were exterminated.

12. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    It's important to remember that an antivirus program is only part of a comprehensive protection program that you must set up.
    This involves an incremental backup scenario, as well as using the OS mechanisms designed to protect you.

I use Paragon Backup free, along with Malwarebytes free and a heaping helping of common sense. :)

I didn't want anybody to think that I advocate "riding bareback", so to speak. :D

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #18 EFA11, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #19 ofernandofilo, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015