Suggest me a hardware firewall.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by intelarmamd, Apr 28, 2019.

1. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I wish to block Windows 10 spying and have searched a lot to find a hardware firewall for that since using software firewalls as effective as using a hardware firewall. I am unable to find a good, reasonably priced and user friendly firewall on the web. Kindly suggest me one if you know any. Best regards.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Unfortunately, I can't suggest anything to you, just have no experience. Perhaps someone knows more about these things. I just wanted to know if I understood the question correctly. Sorry. Simply I'll try to develop myself a little on this issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
  5. jed1949

jed1949 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2015
    Many years ago I built a FW using an old pc from my junkbox + Smoothwall. Total cost - 1 extra network card.

6. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    pfsense is free if you have a computer with 2 lan ports laying around.
    As alternative, mikrotik devices are usually afordable and reasonably easy to maintain. Watchguard appliances are also powerful but they are not cheap and require some advanced knowledge.

7. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    In the past when people have asked me the same or similar question I follow up with a question(s). What kind of budget are you working with? What is the/your expected outcome/result of purchasing specifically a hardware firewall vs a Software Firewall solution?

Not sure that a hardware firewall will fulfill your needs to "block Windows 10 spying" or not but....Heck, take an old PC and install one of the many *nix distros out there and (spend some time reading up on DNS and IPTables etc..). This route tends to be the cheapest but requires time/labor to get it setup etc..

I personally dont think that a Hardware Firewall is needed to "block Windows 10 spying" and is a bit overkill for such a vague question/need! Like @TigTex said, pfsense is a good route if you have a dedicated old PC with 2 NIC Ports but will require more time in setup etc..Good luck!

If you insist on a hardware solution and money is not really a concern then go with something like a Cisco or FortiNet

~MC

8. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007

I would say purchasing a cisco product or a fortinet one would require a lot more time setting it up and understanding of it. Which is most likely beyond the skill of an average or even intermediate user.

9. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Agreed. Its WAY overkill for the OP initial need and or purpose and likely will not serve the intial need properly. Simply understanding how Windows Telemetry works and how and what to disable etc.. is by far easier and more cost effective or if anything, more practical. There are lots of tutorials here on mdl that cover just that.

Whoever/whatever you where told/read that led you to believe that a hardware firewall would "block windows 10 spying" was misleading you or you misinterpreted or was not intended for your average user!

~MC

10. catsmoke

catsmoke MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2018
    Does a hardware firewall take the entire processing burden of security, upon itself?

11. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    After reading and watching some videos about hardware firewalls I agree it’s much more difficult to use them than software firewalls. I just hope if there exists some hardware firewall which is user friendly for the average user and which could be used for the specific purposes of blocking Windows 10 telemetry and blocking access to intel processor. If such a firewall exists I can know about it in this forum only. If there is no such hardware firewall, I would have no option but to just use software firewall.

12. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Why would nobody consider the cost & environmental impact of unnecessarily running hardware firewall 24/7/365 to block access to few sites?
    Learn how to do it in proper software firewall (your would need to learn MUCH MORE with hardware firewall)

13. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    well when it comes to Cisco u really have to know your stuff.....u have to have at least your CCNA....but the OP inquirer about HW firewall to me Cisco is the best hands down....by the way no matter if u block telemetry your ISP knows every place u go unless your using Tor or any of the other anonymous apps out their that protects privacy.

14. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't have a "hardware" firewall. But I have an virtual appliance that is a firewall, router and content manager.

AD integrated, etc.

Free for home use, max 50 IP address.

Sophos UTM