[No more maintained] SUMo - Software Update Monitor

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Kyle_Katarn, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn MDL Member

May 24, 2018
  2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn MDL Member

May 24, 2018
    Hello,

We are starting a "closed beta" phase for 5.9 introducing a highly differentiating feature for people using SUMo on multiple PCs.

If you're interested in taking part to this beta test phase, please contact me in PM (or using our website's contact page)

Kyle

3. kan3

kan3 MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2010
    Can we centrally manage SUMo in corporate environment?

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn MDL Member

May 24, 2018
    Yes, that's exactly the purpose of the "Network supervisor" (SUMo Online) introduced with SUMo 5.9.
    Please contact me for details about deploying this in a corporate environment (contact [@] kcsoftwares.com or PM here)

5. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    #35 Thomas Dubreuil, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    I'm using Sumo and from time to time and since its early start, have to say its carreer started bad with the adware thing (that's why I still only download .zip :) ) and you really made the right move.

It really has an incredible amount of detection, but that means in the same time soooo many "false positives".

For example, yamicsoft W10 manager and W8 manager, which use same files names but different versions.
    Or programs that use other's binary files like photoshop with Node.js...I can give hundreds of examples, ffmpeg, youtubevideodownloader etc
    Some of the updates are incompatible with the "main program" using it.
    A simple way to avoid that could be to simply monitor where the file belong/what folder it is installed. But that requires more work and crosschecks.

Also some driver applications, like Intel updates are totally irrelevant for some systems/boards. You can't install RST 17, or MEI 11.7 on every platform etc.
    So, I think it would be nice to implement more "hardware targetting", since you also have a "driver update monitor", where same problem arises.
    Drivers and drivers applications should be "the base", imho. Fernando's WIN-Raid forum is a great source of information for that kind of things, very helful.

My "ignore list" is huge...Ok, I'm maybe not the average user, but, when you ignore, let's say 14.8, you'll probably always ignore 14.9, 15 etc...
    Maybe just a prompt then, like: "App has been put in your ignore list, do you want to ignore every future update?"

For applications or more "rare" applications, if you want people to do the job for you, as I recon it's impossible to monitor thousands of apps and get everything perfect,
    I think you should implement a MUCH simpler system to report false positive + maybe the ability to report why/the reason you ignored some file (not compatible, not relevant, beta etc)...
    I don't want to log or create account, or the task to be tedious, or having to be a paid customer, to be able to report (paying to help you??)

Also I remember, when using a giveway licence, following the download link on website 99,99 % of the time doesn't work, maybe because advertised google link doesn't work with adblockers,
    or sometimes, it just lands on manufacturer home page, like Intel for example...What? I have to search there??? Probably driver won't be found there anyway.
    And while it's questionable to have a "Download App" button which in fact leads to SUMo shop, instead of being clearly specified
    (kind of adware thing for me, to click on a "download this app" link but going somewhere else, like drivers fixer things, you see what I mean ),
    I think download link should work AT LEAST for your paying customers...
    Agree we all need to live, but me think you have to re-think your model for few things, you haven't totally cleaned your reputation yet, and seems the tentation comes back sometimes eh...?
    The download link is useless, and it's just a way to fool people to buy your software at the end.
    Sorry if that sounded harsh but I like being honest, and I'm sure you'll find some positive in this critic, (thereis a lot of positive in fact).

I'm also remembering, I was forced to update at some point, and that's wrong too, in my opinion
    (I accept a free licence as apology and for my advices :D )

By the way, thanks for your application, time and support, I see you're quite active on the forums ;)
    So just in case, we have giveaway section here

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    @Thomas Dubreuil I concur 100% with everything you stated above...
    I might pay for this program IF / When these discrepancies are resolved...
    Today, I noticed that when using SUMO to link to MajorGeeks etc, as soon as you close that browser window, SUMO pops up with a BUY ME page every time... LAME, LAME, LAME...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn MDL Member

May 24, 2018
    Hello,

Thank you for you feedback.

Regarding download link :
    - Most of the software have a link to their developper's site. An i'm working on an increasing share with direct link to download page (PRO users only). Let me know if some links arem issing for popular apps. I'll fix asap.
    - Regarding "pop up" when you close SUMo, it can be disabled (if you talk about the window pop up) and will no longer show until next next version of SUMo being installed.

Globally, and compared to the competition, SUMo is a "low cost" solution with, I hope a good level of functionnality + most of the value-added functions are directly available from the FREE version.

Of course, if still too expensive and if you've missed the "version or time-limited" giveaway, come to me in PM and i'll offer a nice discount :)

8. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    you're welcome...
    time limited giveaway...lol, good one
    Why not call it a trial? or lend-away :D

9. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    @Kyle_Katarn IMHO, if you offer a 14-21 day TRIAL without any limitations or crippling, so users can TEST how the PAID version compares with the FREE version, you'll have much more interest and potential purchases of the PAID version... I for one will never purchase SUMO without TESTING the real deal to ensure it's actually WORTH the $$$... It's REAL TIME usage that COUNTS...

10. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn MDL Member

May 24, 2018
    That's why i'm frequently offering giveaway on current version branch, without time limitation. Much more opportunity to assess the value than a fixed 14 days trial :)