Super-AIO Split Wim help

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by murphy78, Jul 27, 2013.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Hi guys,

Some of you might know my stuff on TPB. If you don't, I have a SuperAIO that I made of win7 and win8 install.wim files using win8 x86 boot.wim and bootmgr.

Now I'm at a bit of a problem.
    UEFI is becoming very popular.
    It also has a limitation of only being bootable on flash drives in fat32 mode.
    The problem is that with fat32, the max filesize on the drive can be 4gb.

There's a way to split the wim with the new dism /split-image command, but it causes a problem.
    When you try to install certain indexes, it will not find the licensing information and error out.

I have been trying to work out a solution, but so far I've only come up with one real solution.
    I think that the solution might be to have the boot.wim and setup files on one partition in fat32 to enable booting in UEFI mode, but then have the install.wim on a different partition in ntfs since it doesn't need to boot to that partition and the filesize can be larger than 4gb.

I'm trying to get this going, but making 2 partitions on a flash drive is problematic because you never know where the 2nd partition is going to be. So it's not as simple as pointing it at f:\install.wim or something...

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a lot of experience with boot.wim and/or unattend.xml stuff and can help me come up with some sort of solution that does something like run a command script to set the install.wim path, or perhaps something more simple like a partition with a winpe setup where people can simple apply the image to the desired disk.

Anyhow, we really have a lot of smart guys over here. Anyone got some ideas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    #2 s1ave77, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hmmm...you can gather the path this way:

Code:
     for %%d in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do (
            if exist %%d:\install.wim (
                set drive=%%d:
            )
        )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #3 HALIKUS, Jul 29, 2013
  4. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    I know very little about EFI, so it's just a thought: Is it possible to make a small FAT drive, and a NTFS drive that contains the super AIO unpacked, in the FAT drive you make a shell script(*.nsh) that loops to search sf0 , sf1 ..... until it finds the setup in the NTFS. :p

5. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    OH YAH! I forgot that it auto-searches for the sources\install.wim

I was thinking maybe of using a bcd with both x64 setup and x86 setup, and the uefi folks could simply choose the x64 one.
    You said that it searches for an applicable efisys.bin? so If I just rename the x64 version to efix64.bin do you think I could toss it in the same directory as the x86 version?

HALIKUS thx for taking the time to type all of that stuff bro. It's gonna take me quite a while to go through and look at everything that you are suggesting...

6. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    There's tons of ways to do it. Hell, you don't even need to use windows setup. You could simply make a boot disk and use imagex or dism to apply the image to a partition.
    I guess I'm trying to find firstly a working way of doing it within the confines of a Windows Setup. Then, if I hit a serious roadblock, just work on a different method.

Tons of people are really great at cmd scripting here, so making a menu'd installer that calls diskpart and such would be a cinch.
    Like I said though, I wanna try and get it to work with the Windows Setup if I can...

7. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    #7 FaiKee, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    Nah, I didn't mean to unpack the big wim file, what I was thinking was to boot into the FAT partition, and use shell command to launch bootX64.efi or bootia32.efi in the NTFS partition. Since the AIO is in the NTFS partition, it doesn't matter if the install.wim is larger than 4G, and no need to split it. :p

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #8 Flipp3r, Jul 31, 2013
    I've got the very same issue with any new builds I create. My Jan compile & split of install.wim works 100%.
    It's got updated drivers & windows updates added offline with dism. Core then Pro.
    Code:
    20/01/2013  11:43 PM     4,294,632,490 install.swm
    20/01/2013  11:43 PM       355,265,347 install2.swm
    All new builds are like Murphy78's, 1 index works & the other fails. I've tried all types of compiles.
    I've even tried recompiling with the old updates that are in the Jan version. Same results.

I have seen a document from MS that Win8 setup does not support split wim but this document was labelled as pre-release.
    Since my Jan compile works, then it should...

My key is simple, 32 & 64bit WinPE that can also boot in UEFI. There should not be a need to complicate this with ntfs partitions etc...

9. FeelGood1969

FeelGood1969 MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2013
    is there a link to it?

10. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm not supposed to link to TPB, the mods don't like the DMCA stuff,
    however if you were to add /user/murphy78
    You'd probably find what you were looking for.

11. FeelGood1969

FeelGood1969 MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2013
    Thx for your very quick answer :)

12. nxs5aj

nxs5aj MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2014
    How To Separate an AIO Version iso of windows 7 into an x86 and x64 versions

Hi Murphy78,Big fan of yours in tpb. I was trying to find out ways on how to separate an AIO version iso of windows 7 into an ultimate x86 and an ultimate x64. the Aio im speaking of has all the versions of windows and also x86 and x64 which comes to a total size of 4.35gb. i wanted to make an iso of only windows 7 ultimate x86. Can u help?

13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #13 murphy78, Oct 18, 2014
    (OP)
    You need to get the adk for windows for the tools.
    Then run the tools commandline as admin.
    Then you can export the appropriate indexes using dism:
    Code:
    dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:J:\sources\install.swm /swmfile:J:\sources\install*.swm /destinationimagefile:c:\temp\install.wim /sourceindex:21
    where J: is the mounted iso path and sourceindex 21 is the ultimate non-activated index.

You could then transplant the install.wim into the iso and delete the install*.swm files in a program such as poweriso or ultraiso and preserve the boot sector.

14. generalmx

generalmx MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2014
    Aha, this is the thread I was looking for, I think. Instead of dual-layer DVDs I like to use USB Flash drives, which don't cost much more anymore for a bulk pack of 8+ GB ones, and generally work except in a few rare cases where a DVD is used instead (also work when there is no optical drive), so that's the tool I've been working on for a while now. What I have is a Super-AIO 8.1-7-Vista x86&x64 install.esd with separate sources directories for 8.1 x86 and 8.1 x64, untested for 7 & Vista yet. And as the partition I put the ESD is NTFS, I just symlink it into the 64-bit directories, as well the $oem$ directory; I use a bunch of such symlinks for all the tools I have on there from various sources like HBCD, FalconFour, NirSoft, etc. I also modify the boot.wims to call the correct setup.exe parameters of course.

But for ISOs, I think there's a way to do something similar to symlinking, as I've seen it used in the past for ISOs like the TinyXP ISO, where they fit ~7 different installations in only ~700MB.

Note: I also have your Diskpart Apply script too, as well as WinNTSetup, but every now and then something weird happens and neither works, even though surely setup.exe is using the same backend.