Surface Pro Clean 8.1 Install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by opti390, Feb 2, 2014.

1. opti390

opti390 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2014
    Has anyone here done a clean install of Windows 8.1 on their Surface Pro?

I've got my Windows 8.1 image, and I've got the newest Surface Pro driver pack from MS, but before I start I'm wondering if this goes as smooth as a computer would. I assume Surface Pro driver pack has every driver I should need to get back up and running, but I guess I can't be sure.

Is there any way to include all these drivers in the original Windows 8.1 image like slip-streaming a service pack used to be? I found one tutorial but the process seems to have changed since mid-2003 when it was posted. Anyone know of any recent step-by-step tutorials out there? I find it surprising more people haven't tried this. I've already backed up my recovery partition. Am I wasting my time with a clean install? Thanks.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. opti390

opti390 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2014
    Since I am installing Windows 8.1 Pro (I have a Surface Pro) this all still applies correct? I was looking foward to watching that video on page 3 but it was taken down. I'm tech inclined, but I'm not on the level of the majority of this forum.

4. chuckles

chuckles MDL Junior Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I have a windows surface pro and did a clean install of windows 8.1 with no difficulty.

I used a usb drive and only had to disable safeboot to start from it. Did a format, including restore partition and all went smooth. The majority of drivers were in the iso and the rest I got from windows update. Be sure to copy your Windows key before installation.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. WPNettwerk

WPNettwerk MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    What you mean including all drivers in Windows 8.1 installation? You dont need. New drivers what ever comes via Windows Update. I did clean install of Windows 8.1 on my surface and no problems.