Surface upgrade Win 10 Home to Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by polinom, Mar 9, 2019.

1. polinom

polinom MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2011
    I have surface 6 PRO and would like to upgrade Win 10 Home to Pro is this without using any activation tool so that the new Windows Pro will be Genuine.
    upload_2019-3-9_15-18-57.png
    upload_2019-3-9_15-18-25.png

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    How would that work? There's no way to generate a Digital License out of hot air :g:. I mean upgrading is easy but it won't give a Digital License.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Buy a licence.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK you'll need to have an ei.cfg and/or pid.txt file in the Source folder of the used ISO File. The ei.cfg file needs to point to a Windows 10 Pro Retail version while the pid.txt file should contain a Windows 10 Pro Product Key (Original/Legal/Unused) but a VL Product Key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. uaaysakk112

uaaysakk112 MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2018
    To (in place) update my surface to 10 pro, I just bought the cheapest pro key I saw on ebay - it cost around $2, and worked perfectly.
    Just remember to go to system clean up, and remove the old os! It had backed up 10 home just in case, and that was taking about 30gb :)

6. jokkell

jokkell MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2009
    For me the W11 Pro activation does not work. I disconnect from the net and wrongly shut down the tablet if I thought Windows makes the PC really turn off but shutdown means only deep sleep function. Then after a new start and reconnect to WLAN it is not activated (Error code 0x80072EE7). Even after a new restart is it not activated....
    Error message in English: "We can't activate Windows on this device as our activation servers aren't available right now. Make sure you're connected to the internet and we'll automatically try to activate Windows when the service becomes available. Error code: 0x80072EE7"

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #10 Enthousiast, Jun 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    That's a setting.
    Are you talking about the disconnecting to be able to upgrade from home to pro (or any other SKU) or activation (by what method)?
    This implies it's about HWID activation, best to ask for support at the HWID tool support website.

8. jokkell

jokkell MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2009
    Yes, I know it now. I have it changed in 'Advanced Power Settings' for my Surface tablet.

Yes, from "Home" to "Pro" with using the method described above.

I have, or had a "digital W11 Home" license (whatever it mean) and it is probably stored in the BIOS/UEFI...?

9. jokkell

jokkell MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2009
    #13 jokkell, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  10. jokkell

jokkell MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2009
    Thanks! Please, can you say what's the better option regarding privacy? Is HWID a must? Or is activation with KMS a equivalent option?
    Have a nice day!

11. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    HWID = unique hardware id stored forever on microsoft servers, as anti-privacy as it can get (even legally, it gives microsoft "license" to track your device).

12. jokkell

jokkell MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2009
    Not a good idea. :( Now, I have a Windows tablet PC with a digital license. Have changed it form Home to Pro and not activated at the time. Can the HWID now be deleted again at all?
    Would it be a viable option to install a OS without a HWID? If so, which Windows would that be? LTSC? Or have I misunderstood something?
    Another one question: Is it possible to make a Enterprise version out of a Surface Windows Home recovery (9.5GB zip file downloaded from MS)??

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, the servers will keep the HWID activation tied to your hardware, so when you re-install the same SKU it will auto-activate when it finds the retail key.
    When you install any of the business SKUs or insert a gVLK it won't be HWID activated.
    Enterprise 2015/2016 LTSC and 2019 LTSC can be HWID or KMS(38) activated, 2021 LTSC KMS(38) only but IoT 2021 LTSC can only be HWID activated.
    When you can get the install.wim you should be able to offline set-edition it to Enterprise (not the LTSC version).

14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  15. jokkell

jokkell MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2009
    Interesting!
    I was just about to ask after Enthousiast's post if it would not be possible by changing the hardware... But: with a Surface not feasible.
    It also occurred to me to ask for a link to a tutorial for tinker a new ISO. Can you read minds, AveYo?
    I'll take a look at the scripts tomorrow. Thank you for the link! But it seems to be a bit older to me. I hope it works also for the new Surface 8 Pro. It's almost as if MS becoming more sympathetic to me as the days go by.;)
    If it not possible with the MS script - or in case I'm too stupid:
    @Enthousiast: in the "sources" folder of the Recovery zip-file is a "boot.wim" of 646 MB. Is this equal to the install.wim?