Surprised how snappy Norton Antivirus is!

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ian82, May 17, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    From my personal experience from supporting consumer pcs Norton Antivirus is one of the worest antivirus-programm you can have. In every "objective" test a product of Symantec in general gets a good place you should consider this test as tainted or bought by Symantec. I can give you several examples when Norton Antivirus made a perfectly fine consumer PC to a virus, worm, etc infected habitat where such malware were thrithing. Norton Antivirus removed, which is never a small and trivial task, I installed a real antivirus like Antivir from Avira (was never a resource hog) and there were for Norton unexpectently many maleware found on this PC. I also know from collueges who tell me similar stories. With other products from Symantec, like the defragger, I had my own experiences on my systems nearly 10 years ago. After products from Symantec destroyed many Gigs of my data I banned any product from Symantec from my systems and I never had any problems in this department again.

I personaly cathegorieze any product from Symantec as maleicues as any maleware.

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    In the past I would agree with you 100% as I was an Anti Norton / Anti McAfee person. They were the worst 2 AVs in the world. But things have changed drastically since 2009

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    I've (been forced to) sell and install/use Norton since 2009, and I agree that it's better (mildly) than it was, but I would never dream of calling a pc with norton installed 'Fast'.

@OP,

You'll probably find that posts praising something like Norton will get a lot of negative attention. If it's working for you, thats great. As long as you're not an idiot user/ unsafe browser on purpose, then you'll probably be fine for a long time. The only thing I'd keep a look out for, is the renewals price. Sometimes it can be cheaper to buy a boxed version from a shop rather than renew online.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    very true bro. like quarter of the price if you buy it retail / boxed

6. MakeMeBad

MakeMeBad MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2012
    From my past experience..... norton couldn't catch a cold!!!! :p

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Ad from my experiences, Norton is a Resource Hoog!

8. edee

edee MDL Novice

May 6, 2011
    #8 edee, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    Then you really have not used Norton in quite a few years my friend or you have so much other stuff running in the background it makes you feel like it is slowing things down.
    If your one of those people that lets twenty five apps run in the system tray, that twenty sixth app may be the one that puts your system over the edge. I have never been a big believer of running a ton of crap in the tray or on start up ....... no need for it, I have the memory to do it but I won't. I only run what is essential to boot Windows on start up and my Antivirus and Malware software in the tray, everything else that uses the tray uses it as I see it needs to, but back to Norton ......

The past few years unlike many other software vendors, Norton has been actually listening to it's customers and lightning the load of their software, Personally I do not run Norton on any of my systems at the moment, not that I wouldn't but I have tested their AV over the last four years and was pleasantly surprised how light it has become on one's system. I would recommend it to anyone who questions it and would run it myself if I had the need to renew or purchase new Antivirus software.

Good move ian82 :spoton:

9. edee

edee MDL Novice

May 6, 2011
    #9 edee, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    Just a note BigW ........ Software such as this does not destroy data, 99.9% of the time when data is lost like that other than a hard drive crash, it's the user who uses the software incorrectly that destroys the data. Same analogy as weapons, weapons don't kill people, people kill people.
    I don't have any Symantec products on my system now, NOT to say that I wouldn't use any Symantec products because I have used them EXTENSIVELY in the past and have never had one iota of a problem with them.

It amazes me how many people buy software like this, click around the settings willy nilly not fully understanding or reading what the software is going to perform or do, then when they run it and something like what is described above happens, it's the software's fault, it's malicious it's this and it's that.:confused: I have a relative just like that, I am FOREVER fixing his computer and EVERY TIME I ask him what he did it's always "I didn't do it the computer or the software did it", if you don't understand what your clicking on or running then you probably should not be clicking around in the software, ASK someone who knows ........ In the end you'll be A LOT better off.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, I don't use AV Apps at all, except, in case of emergency, I use Cure It from FreeDrWeb! Also Defender and Windows Firewall are disabled! Instead I use an Semi Hardware Firewall running Smoothwall Express which is locate between WAN and LAN and didn't need any single resource from any computer running on my Network!. I'd explained that several times in details, even in this Apps Forum! Check it out and you may understand!

11. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I had in windows 98 several times (until I banned Symantec Software from my PC) where I lost each time several gigs of data for only being so foolish to click on the start button to start the defragmentation. A task the defragger was supposed to do somewhat correctly without destroying my data so easaly. A blue screen followed and after a restart I had to reinstall everthing. What good is a highly spoken of drefragger when it so dangerously or difficuld to use.

About the analogy of yours: There are two types of weapon operators. A faulty one and a non faulty one but even a non faulty one can kill himselve and others with a faulty weapon. A faulty wepon also can kill you althought you are using it correctly.