Swap a hard drive between computers?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jetjock, May 14, 2014.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Would it be possible to install Win 7 and various programs on a new hard drive in my computer, and then switch that drive to another totally different computer?

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    It would work with two similar boards from the same manufacturer, say Asus. It would still throw a little wobbler and driver issues but would work.

I have tried this with Win 7 on a new LGA 1155 Asus and an old Abit LGA 775 just for the laugh. Urr nightmare.

3. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    I own two pieces of software which can prepare windows up from 2000 to make it run on other hardware;

acronis true image premium 2014 with "universal restore" and
    paragon harddisk manager 12 professional with "P2P Adaptive Restore"

The microsoft way was: install your software and then seal windows with sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.
    Then all new hardware will be detected at first run.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I too use Acronis, but my last attempt at "universal restore" was not successful. I had a SSD go out and tried to restore that drive to a new SSD (different brand). Everything restored just fine, but the computer refused to boot. I've never had a problem just restoring an image back to the drive that was imaged. I don't know why that one didn't work. I'm also not sure just how I would use it in the manner I am asking about. I want to take a new HD and install Win 7 and several programs that my sister uses, with the HD mounted in my computer. Then, when I go to Las Vegas this fall to visit, just pop that HD into her computer, transfer her Docs and be done. She is currently using Win XP so using her Acronis image is not a possibility. Is this possible? If so, what's the best way to go about it?

I really didn't understand your last paragraph on "The microsoft way". What is "seal windows"? Is this a command line that is used on a new drive from another computer? If so, could you be more specific on how to use it?

jetjock. :plane:

5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
  6. green[mile]

green[mile] MDL Novice

May 20, 2014
    I say clone or backup your drive and then "go for it". I pulled a Windows 7 drive from my desktop and put it in a laptop. It booted up without issue and updated itself. I was surprised. Of course, you are planning to install it in a much older piece of hardware and may not be so fortunate.

7. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I just might still do that. I guess the worst that can happen is it won't work. I'd then just have to do what I planned to do anyway! :cool:

jetjock :plane: