swap OEM motherboard for retail motherboard

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by warren, Dec 30, 2013.

1. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    #1 warren, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Hi every one I have a windows 7 ACER PREDATOR pc. I want to change the OEM motherboard for a retail motherboard with X79 chipset and I want to keep the acer factory restore plus mod the bios for activation can any one tell me if that is possible. and which is the best motherboard to buy

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    not totally possible.. the Chipsets wont match and restore will not have all drivers.

activation is easy .. flash slic mod bios with acersys slic 2.1 for win7

3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Whats wrong with the board ?

Is there owt to gain by slinging in an after market board ?

What mobo is it ?

4. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    hi there the board is by acer. they is nothing wrong with the board. i just wanted to put a board in that i cam expand to. more memory and different cpu.

5. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    hi the restore process dump windows and then reinstall windows. i might be wrong but the chipset are Intel which they all used similar drivers

6. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    hi i want to keep the factory restore for real. i am happy with that. i just want a new retail motherboard for my acer G7760

7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
  8. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    #9 warren, Dec 30, 2013
    (OP)
    hi not the amazon machine. because my machine cost lest than half that money and has 128GB SSD and 2 X 580 nvidia graphic cards new. i will have to buy a new CPU and board. but would like to keep every thing as original as possible including the OS. i know that the drivers will need updating which is not a problem.

9. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

Are you just expecting to sling in a new mobo and chip and expect your machine to run as if nowt has happened ?

This is not going to happen. Your machine will through a right wobbly at you.

By all means treat yourself to a new board and CPU but be expected to do a fresh install of your chosen OS. be expected to have to load all the new drivers even just to get on line, unless your chosen OS ins Windows 8.1.

Don't worry about keeping everything as original. it wont be original with a new board an CPU.

10. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    #11 warren, Dec 30, 2013
    (OP)
    hi i know it wont be original. when i sling in a new motherboard and cpu i want to do a factory restore and install all the other drivers on to windows 7. dont like windows 8 or i wont be asking

11. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Sorry it aint gunna be so easy. I can imagine if you try it the machine will burst into flames and make a horrible grinding noise. :biggrin:

Either leave it as it is or expect to move on. Or give me your new bits and I'll move on from my Z77...

12. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    hi mate LOL when you install a fresh copy of windows you have to add all the other drivers later. i have put this image from a intel motherboard acer pc unto a AMD cpu and chipset motherboard by acer pc

13. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Yesss, I sort of get what your saying there. But both were Acer. I believe Acer do not sell after market boards,like Gigabyte or Asus. You will hit a heap of bother slinging in one of those and expecting a smooth transition...But I would rather do that.

14. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    hi mate thanks for your advise. I tried the acer factory restore on another motherboard and could not get into the restore. unless you can write the restore commands into the bios for use of the ALT+F10 process thanks a gain

15. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Sorry man...Nothing will help.

Your machine spec is fine anyhow.

If you have money to spend go for the LGA 1150 Z87. these are the newest out to date. Asus do some really nice boards. I love my Sabertooth Z77. Only one year old and out of date already.:(

16. warren

warren MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    hi mate sorry my machine has all the correct drivers and don't need no third party program to look for drivers. i was thinking about replacing motherboard with a retail board and different cpu but don't want the hassle of installing os and drivers from scratch so will leave it for a few years when Microsoft decide to bring out a new os not a win 8 lover that is why i was inquiring about new board and keeping the acer OS thanks for all your help but will stick with what i have for now

17. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well if it aint broke, don't mend it:biggrin:

Your specs are pretty good anyhow. Save ya pennies till you have enough to get a blistering machine.

As for Windows 8 or a future one. We will have to get used to it. Took me ages to swap from Windows 2000 to XP. Finally got to like it. Just about to maybe take the plunge and install 8.1 as my main OS, after trying it four times.

:biggrin5: