Symantec .vbn Eating Disk Space!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by peppermint23, Jul 1, 2009.

1. peppermint23

peppermint23 MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2009
    How do I empty the .vbn (virus bin)? It's eating my disk space up. So far it contains 46 GB, which is essentially my hard drive. :(

When I try to view quarantine files in Symantec, the program freezes. I keep getting swarmed with Bloodhound Exploits that I have to delete which also take up space as they come.

I really need help! I feel like no one can answer my questions. Any help would be SO appreciated.

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    It's been a while since I've used Norton/Symantec but these files used to be stored in Symantec under Docs-Settings/Application Data. Just delete them via Explorer. Or are you saying that you've tried that and Symantec is protecting them?

If you are talking about the Norton-protected Recycle Bin then boot to Safe Mode>then Start>Run>type command>OK>

Once at the command prompt type C: - press ENTER; then type cd recycler\nprotect - press ENTER; type del *.* - press ENTER; type cd .. (there is a space between the cd and the dots) - press ENTER; then type rd nprotectde - press ENTER; then reboot.

I don't know if you can now do this via START>RUN>type cmd>OK and then proceed as above directly from Windows (I'd still do it in Safe Mode). Also, as I said, it's been a while since I used Norton so the directory location/names may be different. No problem, just substitute the correct names. Just do a search for *.vbn and follow the directory tree.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...