Symlink in System32

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Lotusisrael, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Lotusisrael

Lotusisrael MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2013
  2. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    #2 Full inu, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    It will doesn't work with probability 99,8%.

NO IT DOESN'T SAYS THAT

3. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    There has to be a way. On Windows 10, where mshtml.dll is present in Program Files/Internet Explorer, this was achieved with Symlinks. On Windows Server 2016, a special version of Windows 10, mshtml.dll is on System32, as edgehtml.dll . So, I am willing to try, if there is way to create a symlink in System32

4. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    It does work, it was tested, since edgehtml.dll is derived from mshtml.dll .Something similar to your was solution I already tried, I was not allowed even from Linux to delete or move things in System32. Anyway, I guess it is a violation of the Eula of Windows, to modify the proprietary software like that. So, the question remains, can I create a symlink in System32 for a file in there and keep it in the same location?

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It looks like you can and it depends on the type of symbolic link you are interested in creating. You are probably going to create a root relative symbolic link.

6. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    I am not to experienced in creating symlinks, just started about a week ago. Is there a way to create a relative link from mshtml.dll to edgehtml.dll, both files being in System32? Perhaps what I tried so far was to create an absolute link and this why I failed.

7. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    I was told about nsudo on this board before, but nobody explained how shall I use it. I have already took ownership of the files, tried to modify them with admin privileges, but I was denied access. Windows Server 2016 has stronger restrictions then Windows 10 Enterprise ltsb. It seems that only nsudo or alike are the only hope.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

If you don't want to read how to use nsudo just download wmc v8.8.1 from my signature, unpack it and click on _testrights.cmd, it will open an nsudo prompt, then use it as usual or launch something from it

Win server security is not different from any OS since Vista.

Taking the ownership isn't enough, you have to set the right permissions as well, they are two related things but they aren't the same thing

9. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    Managed to create the symlink. But the purpose for creating it was not reached.