System Failer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by silumor, May 7, 2013.

1. silumor

silumor MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2011
    Hey, I have a problem I could use some assistance on for those with technical know how. I repair rebuild computers from home as a second job and while I trouble shooting a system I loaned my Pentium 4 E8400 computer with a DG31GL it worked perfect for 2 years it even served as a game server for me and my friends. Well to the point when I got the system home it failed to power on at all fans spin for a sec then stop and the build in network light in the back flashes and the power LED on the motherboard flashes in unison with the network light. anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping if components are fried it's the board and not the chip.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I would start by checking the power supply, as it is the easiest thing to change.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. silumor

silumor MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2011
    #3 silumor, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    (OP)
    Aye It seesm I forgot to mention that I have swapped it with three other supplies and all the same effect. I really stumped because when I took it from their house it was running and I powered it down and shut off the surge protector and all and when I got home nothing at all worked. I suggested to the people that they have their electrical plug checked for proper grounding and such as their last computer had many random electrical issues and randomly powered off. Just switched it with my sons Nintendo computer im building him switched the ram and PSU and same effect accept the power LED stays on solid other then that still no powering up

4. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    It does sound like something is wrong with the MoBo. How many sticks of RAM do you have.

If more than one, maybe you can pull out all but one. Something similar happened to my Asus MoBo.
    I had to yank out all the RAM but one stick. Then I was able to get into the BIOS and reset it. it had something to do with the BIOS RAM timing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. silumor

silumor MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2011
    I have 6 different sticks of ram all tested and all the same effect no boot nothing and the mobo speaker for errors doesn't even make a sound. I hope its only the mobo though it is and old system its still a waste to stop working all of a sudden like that

6. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Does the BIOS have a function that automatically senses RAM speed / timing? If the RAM speed / timing is wrong, the mobo will not start.
    This can sometimes happen to mobos that get hit by a power surge. (It happened to me)

If this is so, reset the CMOS and remove all RAM sticks but one (or 2 if they're paired), and try to start the machine. If you can get into the BIOS, you can reset the BIOS to defaults and put the RAM back in.

7. silumor

silumor MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2011
    the weird just keeps going, the board is a 24pin board but I had a 20 pin micro atx PSU laying around so I hooked it up and hello the board fires back up with only a 20 pin and not the required 24 pin connector then fried the 150w micro PSU, I have 4 other PSU all with a rating of 450w or better and none of them boot this board up at all, tested all PSU with other computers all ram placed in to other systems and tested working so im stumped I assume now the motherboard is just bad in some way, sorry about my bad typing I have a 5 year old trying to help

8. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    so ok.. you use 24pin psu, maybe you forgot to connect additional 4pin plug?
    also check capacitors..

9. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Motherboard problems is so common as you think. The problem is only the Motherboard or Processor since you have tested the Power Supply and Memory and the motherboard has no beeps.. Analysing the issues probability, you have 90% of chance to the problem be with the Motherboard since the processor problems is very hard to occur and new motherboards have overtemp protections.

E8400 is not a Pentium 4 processor, but a Core 2 Duo that is much faster than this one.

there is no manufacturers working with this old Intel 775 Socket on this days, so anyway you will need to upgrade all the system or try to self repair the motherboard.

10. silumor

silumor MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2011
    yeah I have already been looking for replacement boards thanks for any adviace and yeah its a core 2 dou I don't know why I listed as p4

11. silumor

silumor MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2011
    I don't see any swelled caps or burnt anything on this damn board its frustrating

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Is there a battery on the motherboard? If so, try changing it.

Then, try to reset the CMOS.

13. Ahcro

Ahcro MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2013
    Hi, I'd try unplugging everything and then plugging it back.
    Something like this happened once to a friend who had forgotten to remove the plastic protector of the "CPU cooler". (had the plastic between the cooler dissipator and the CPU...)

Hope this fixes it.

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    my friend has a DG31ID or something and from day 1 it had a shutdown or power up issue.. he has to restart then on intel screen he can shutdown LOL.

also another model once needed new power supply unit then it stopped its no boot issue.
    this board died D945GCNL or something and we replaced with G41m-ES2L 2 yrs ago and no more issues.