System Reset - How to Recover Microsoft Office Apps

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by ausda, Jul 8, 2016.

1. ausda

ausda MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2016
    I made a mistake and did a full system reset. I lost the 2010 Microsoft Applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and etc. Does anyone know how to recover these applications? I know some would say to re-download and enter the Product Key... Only problem is that I do not have the product key.
    I attempted a system restoration but the restoration point only went as far back as to after I performed the reset.

I believe they are still on my computer... When I performed a Disk Cleanup and clicked "Clean up system files," I found that there were still 9.14 GB of "Previous Windows installation(s)" on my computer.

Does anyone know how I should go about the recovery process?

Thank you

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    check in: C:\Program files\Microsoft Office. If the Microsoft Office folder is stil there and contains the Office files, it may be only the shortcuts were deleted, and all you need to do is create new shortcuts.

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Previous Windows installation will be C:\Windows.old

4. ausda

ausda MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2016
    Okay, I found the Windows.old> Users> Owner> AppData> Microsoft> Office folder. Now, I am confronted with two options: 1) Click on the 14.0 folder (Consists of FSD Files) or 2) ONetConfig (Consists of SIG Files and XML Documents)
    Where would I go from there?

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    See if you can roll back to the previous Windows version from Settings > Update & Security > Recovery

If not, not sure you will be able to restore them, best to download Office again from here, and activate with a KMS activator if you can't find your key

6. ausda

ausda MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2016
    Recovery or the backup?

Where would be the best option to acquire one of these?

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ausda

ausda MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2016
    Thank you so much for this! I realized that I actually refreshed it, instead of resetting it. I guess, in this case, there's not much of a difference?

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Once you get to a stable system the way you want it, do yourself a favor and make a system image. I preach this all the time because of situations just like yours. If you're going to undertake massive system changes, and especially if you're unfamiliar with what you're doing, have a recovery plan.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #10 lobo11, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. ausda

ausda MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2016
    I just read that piece last night. Thank you. Do you know of any reliable sites that have an actual KMS activator? Everything I find is either spam or has been removed.

12. ausda

ausda MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2016
    This is what I found...

The Windows.old folder has two purposes:
    1) Can be used to un-install Windows 7 and return your PC to the previous version of Windows.
    2) Contains all your personal data files, documents, pictures. Etc.from the previous version.

If you do not need either of these two options the Windows.old folder can be deleted.

Note: Change Windows Explorer option to see the Windows.old folder:
    Click Start and in the 'Search' box enter: "hidden" (without the quotes)
    Click the "Show hidden files and folders" option at the top of the list.
    In the 'Folder Options' Window:
    Click of the 'View' if it is not already selected.
    In the 'Advanced settings' list locate 'Hidden files and folders'.
    Now click on 'Show hidden files and folders'
    Next uncheck the following:
    'Hide empty drives in the Computer folder'
    'Hide extentions for know file types'
    'Hide protected operating system file'

Click the 'Apply' button and the 'OK' button.

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  14. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Everything You Need to Know About Refreshing and Resetting Your Windows 8 or 10 PC

15. anagramgenius

anagramgenius MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2015
    MDL Forum?
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/65739-KMSpico-Official-Thread