System Restore broke W10 Can only boot with PE

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dale_j, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Dale_j

Dale_j MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2012
    I used System Restore with the latest W10 Pro x64 and can no longer boot from the hard drive.

The error code is 0xc0000001.

The only fix on MS is "insert Windows media and reinstall".

When I try that, it doesn't all anything other than a fresh install.

Using a PE disk, I can see all the files are still there. Diskpart shows the partitions are still correct. Running SFC and Chkdsk from PE shows no errors.

Is there anything I can do other than a fresh wipe and reinstall?

Thanks

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    First try startup repair from those options.

3. Dale_j

Dale_j MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2012
    Thanks, but I already tried all the repair options including startup repair, uninstall updates, etc.

All of them failed with error messages about unable to complete tasks.

4. Sturmbringer

Sturmbringer MDL Novice

May 3, 2015
    I have a... well, similar... problem.

In my case, Win 10 went into a BSOD when trying to downlad the 1903 update. To clarify, I usually delay all updates for the maximum possible time because of the bad quality they have when delivered first time.
    Well, after the PC rebooted, windows tried to repair something, but failed. I tried it countless times. The log blubbers something from a bootblabla.dll (can't remember actually). Tried to repair that the old fashioned way. I copied the file from another PC and put it into the folder where the log said the problem occurs. Nothing - as expected from Win 10. Still tries to repair something that is obviously not broken.
    So, I tried to reinstall/upgrade from a USB/DVD. Downloaded a 1909 all versions, with patches until 2H02 added. Rufus made a USB, Infrarecorder a DVD (after I tried the USB without any chance for multiple times).
    The install process starts (both, USB and DVD working), I can chose country, the version of Win 10 (Pro, EDU, Ent,..). When it comes to chose "upgrade with keeping all your work intact" or "format disc and install from scratch" (analoguous) I logically choose to keep everything (I also wouldn't look for another home if a light bulb is broken). But then I get the message, "you have to upgrade from the existing installation. Close the installer and reboot into your installed version to upgrade from there."
    At first I thought, it is the strange glitch I found googling, where a update from USB does not work because MS messed something up in the upgrade procedure (somthing in versions 1803/1809). So, I made the DVD to avoid a USB device, but nothing does change.
    Well, neither normal start nor secure start do work on the existing installation. So I can not do what the installer tells me. At best, I come into the CMD. But even if I start the update there (setup.exe) it does not work.

Is there any known bug or glitch I did not find googling? Does somebody know a way to force an update from outside the installed version of Win 10? Anything else I can do?

I really miss the nearly perfect MS repair procedure from XP :( We are in 21st century and the most widely used OS does not have a really failproof concept of restoration in case of problems. I once messed up my backup OS Ubuntu and thought I had to reinstall it anew. I forced it down in the upgrade procedure. But take my surprise when I found a simple start option to reboot into a former version of itself an update from there again.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @Sturmbringer

- You can't upgrade when booting the install medium
    - I don't see you mentioning running startup repair, or booting into a winpe environment and trying to remove the failed update (msdart offers the option too)
    - You have downloaded a homebrew ISO from unknown sources? Or did you mean an official 1909 ISO (18363.720)? What does 2H02 mean?

6. Sturmbringer

Sturmbringer MDL Novice

May 3, 2015
    I trust all the sources I use software from, even if they are not always corporate servers. You have tons of ISOs here in the forum and there are also "touched" versions which work like the untouched ones. That was never a problem since I use OSes (about 20-25 years now).
    2H02 means, all updates integrated until February 2020 because 2002 would just be misinterpreted.

7. Sturmbringer

Sturmbringer MDL Novice

May 3, 2015
    Is it possible that the "custom installation" keeps my programs intact? Like it was when upgradin from 7 to 10?
    The option is new to me. I understood it as the version "format disc and install" or "install parallel but loose everything but files". So no working programs from the old installation any more.
    It is a bit confusing to me. Because there is the option upgrade and keep everything intact. On the other hand I can not find really clear statements to this custom installation to the keeping installed programs workinng. Even not on the MS Homepage. Just some user commentary which you can understand either way.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't think anyone needs such a mixture of porridge and cabbage. There are now two different users confused with their problems, with different problems.
    However, everyone could start solving their problem by opening a new topic with their problem. All the more so because the problems are different.
    @Sturmbringer
    You can install a new version or upgrade to the next version so that your files and settings are preserved only if you have a perfectly working system. If the system is faulty and not working properly, you can't save and preserve settings, applications, etc., you can only store your files and folders. So simple it is. If You want preserve everything, You must repair currently running system and if this is done and You don't have no problems, you can upgrade and preserve all what You have. Ie including almost all installed programs and apps, but not even then all. Some of them may need to be reinstalled or repaired because You can't repair some missing registy entry or reregister some .dll file.
    @Dale_j
    If you don't have a backup from the time everything worked, it's really very wise for you to do a new clean installation, as in all likelihood you won't find a reason for the current situation. And if you can't find reason, you can't fix anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    what do you think he was trying to do?
    Only from a running system.
    How much clearer do you want?