system retore problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bigvern, Nov 28, 2010.

1. bigvern

bigvern MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    I have an issue with system restore not saving restore points. I needed to do a restore earlier today and noticed i only had one restore point. This is not the first time I have noticed this. The last time I noticed it I turned system restore off and back on hoping to reset it and that it would function properly and also increased the files size setting but it did not help anything. Has anyone else had this issue?? I am running a bio modded win7 ultimate with a few tweaks for third party themes but basically the os is untouched other than a theme added from virtual customs and universal theme patcher installed. I also use Commodo Internet Security Suite and Ccleaner if this might help diagnose my problem.

2. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    windows radomly creates restore points when you install or remove programs etc.supposedly.if thats not enough you can create them yourself by-in control panel,click system.on the right click system protection.in the list should see your c drive and should say under protection-on.you will see in same window-create a restore point now...click the create box.in next window type a name like new or whatever.then click create.thats it.hope this helps.

3. simple_grl

simple_grl MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2010
    Thx greyaburton

i have the same issue

4. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    glad it helped.should note that restore points use up hardrive space.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    System restore in windows 7 is pretty useless (hit and miss) and takes up hard disk space as an additional burden. Perhaps you should be trying an imaging program.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    if you want to clean up your old restore points after creating a new one.click start.programs.accessories.then click disc cleanup.will get a window which by default selects your main drive,(but can change it to other drives if needed).click okay.wait a couple minutes for next window to appear.will see some options with boxes and check marks in them.if theres someting checked your not sure of,click in the box next to the item to deselect it.once your sure theres nothing going to be removed that you want,click on the more options tab at the top of the window.will see system restore and shadow copies.under that heading,click clean up box.in next window,click delete.that window will disappear.in the window that remains,click okay.then in next window,click delete.thats it.it will remove your old restore points and free up hard drive space.