Tablet dropped, screen not working, apps not starting...? Useless or repairable?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gorski, Aug 10, 2012.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    First it was Odys "Loox" tablet with Android Gingerbread and now (silly us, for letting him get near it!) it is another one (can't find which one now, as there's nothing written on it, just, naturally, "made in China"), with 4GB memory... My 2 year old son - of course - got hold of them, dropped both of them and now we can't use them...

Odys screen is broken (a fracture is visible) but the other one isn't visibly broken and yet it doesn't allow for any commands to be given by pressing the screen...

I suppose the price matters, in terms of whether to replace the screen or not - it's around €100 for the latter tablet, if memory serves.

But the Q is, also: can a non-geek (I am from Humanities) easily replace the screen? Any advice, please?

If "Yes, you can" :D is the answer - where can I get them, preferably cheaply, please?

Thanx in advance!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    If you can afford a new tablet, get a new tablet and sell the others ones as faulty.

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx!

I was hoping I could rescue at least one...

Didn't know anyone would buy the faulty ones - any suggestions, please?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Most likely, eBay will be your best bet. I mean the one with the broken LCD, if it has an easy teardown/dismantle process then by all means attempt replacement of the broken part.

Can I have the model number of the one with the broken LCD screen and the one where applications won't start? The one where apps won't start may just be a firmware issue and may need updating or a forced restore... I'll find a suitable replacement screen for the other one for you.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #5 gorski, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    (OP)
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Here is the T01 when opened.

The "reset" button at the top, if I am correct, next to a larger volume button, is not working, press all I want...

And I can't seem to give any commands... Unless it is something to do with draining the battery and then pressing something when it is booting...?

Attached Files:

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Heh, I should have known: from €8 for the part to more than €45 all together and that is without any guarantees that it won't be even more expensive, once they receive the tablet. And only then will they be giving me a proper estimate of the costs... Errrmmm... no thanx!

I will only try to get the part and change it myself, just to try.

Also, about that forced restore on T01 - how exactly does one do it, please?

Thanx!!!

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  9. supaduper

supaduper MDL Member

Jul 3, 2011
    if they are anything like phone replacement screens which obviously comes in two pieces upper touch screen and lower lcd screen,then bear in mind that you only have one good chance when taking the adhesive shield from the screens and lining them up to press together,did a samsung recently and I nearly messed up but all was good,youtube is a good reference and also big freestanding magnifying glass !

10. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Not all LCD and Digitizers are bonded though and removing the bond isn't that hard with the correct heat level, I've done this many times to know it's possible.

11. juliae

juliae MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    :eek:If I were you,I will sell it than change new one.:biggrin:

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Indeed, it seems so... I can't find a FW for the other one...

13. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #14 Muerto, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021