Tablets - On screen keyboard defaults to handwriting KB?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bmurphr1, Jul 30, 2015.

1. bmurphr1

bmurphr1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I have Windows 10 running on my Venue 8 Pro now, and I've discovered an extremely annoying bug and have searched for about an hour to figure out how to change this setting but have not prevailed as of yet. Since I'm running W10 on a tablet I have the touchscreen keyboard icon in my system tray that I can use to pull up the on screen keyboard to input text. For some reason though instead of pulling up the normal on-screen keyboard it pulls up the handwriting input keyboard with no keys, just a blank to write out text using a pen which is converted into text on the screen. I believe in the past adding languages to the OS enabled you to change the default on-screen keyboard layout but I have looked through the available languages to install and the only option available is the standard US QWERTY one which is installed with W10 by default.

I've searched through the entire settings app as well as online and haven't found an answer. Right now I feel like it's guaranteed that the only way to change the default on-screen keyboard layout is going to be through some registry changes. For anybody else that has W10 installed on their tablet, does your on-screen keyboard default to the handwriting input keyboard or the normal OSK? Anybody know how to change this default OSK setting?

2. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    i think i had that a couple of test releases back on my venue 8 pro but both that and my asus chi now defauld to whatever i used last just as you would want it to do.