Take complete control/full admin rights...???

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rickkins, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    There must be a way around the nonsense...??

Assume I understand the risks.

2. brut7

brut7 MDL Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

3. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Holy Moley....
    That's some scary s**t right there....:eek:

Ok, thanks mate. I'll study it a bit, and perhaps I'll pluck up my courage enough to give it a try...

4. KnowledgeableNewbie

KnowledgeableNewbie MDL Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Not really recommended, but you can enable the administrator account. In an administrator command window type net user administrator /active:yes. Reboot and you should be able to log in to administrator.

5. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 Rickkins, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks. Did that, but it still won't let me change my main account to administrator.

Edit: I should say that it 'says' administrator, but it don't behave that way.

6. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Uh, now it boots directly into the new administrator account. Where do I change that..??
    Thanks.

7. 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider

Aug 15, 2009
    #7 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    you could try from the desktop by right clicking start button selecting "run" typing
    "control userpasswords2" Selecting >>> "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" OK, apply...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. brut7

brut7 MDL Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Just copy the text to a new notepad, save and rename the extension to reg

For example you could call it takeownership.reg

Then you have a reg entry. Just click on it and add to registry. It's not scary or dangerous, we've been using it since Vista.

It adds right click context menu "Take Ownership" and gives you full admin rights on anything you choose.

9. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Agreed - used from Vista days to today - all good -

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Ok, I've saved it and ran it.
    How now do I take ownership..??

11. KnowledgeableNewbie

KnowledgeableNewbie MDL Member

Sep 30, 2014
    #11 KnowledgeableNewbie, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Sorry, but you can't change the main account to full administrator.
    To stop the administrator account just do the reverse, net user administrator /active:no. The reason it goes directly to administrator is because neither account uses a password, so it autologs the administrator account.
    You can redo your settings as you like in the administrator account to be the same as you other account and delete the other account. This involves a lot of things that are to much to go into.
    If you want to learn how to do it another way, research "sysprep administrator".
    Again i state that logging in as administrator is not recommended unless you know your computer is 100% secure. :rofl:
    People looking to break into computers first look for computers with that account active. It make it a little easier for them. Giving this account a login password does nothing except stop people from starting your computer. Once the computer is started it is just kike any other account, except with more access.
    Someone suggested the "takeownership" approach, but unfortunately it's not that simple. It let's you delete some files, but it doesn't do anything to the registry values that control privileges.
    When Windows 8 came out it took me months of research and trial and error to sysprep an image to just the way I liked it because of the "enhanced security" (i.e. PITA) of it.
    GL hope this helped and alerted you to the caveats of the administrator account.

12. OnePiece

OnePiece MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    #12 OnePiece, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    DX Tool - Grant Full Admin Control tool (Permissions and Ownership) wxw.wincert.net/forum/topic/9409-tool-dx-tool-x86x64/

Code:
    CD /D "%~dp0"
    ECHO. | TIME | FIND /i "current">> subinacl_test.txt
    subinacl.exe /subdirectories D:\MountDir_TMP\Windows\* /setowner=administrator /grant=administrators=f
    ECHO. | TIME | FIND /i "current">> subinacl_test.txt

Code:
    CD /D "%~dp0"
    ECHO. | TIME | FIND /i "current">> SetACL_test.txt
    SetACL.exe -on "D:\MountDir_TMP\Windows" -ot file  -rec cont_obj -actn setowner -ownr "n:Administrators" -actn ace -ace "n:Administrators;p:full"
    ECHO. | TIME | FIND /i "current">> SetACL_test.txt

Ciao.