Take Ownership and Access from Right Click Menu

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by admin, Nov 3, 2007.

1. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Merge the registry file to get Take Ownership command on right click menu on files and folders.

Details here.

Attached Files:

2. jnougher

jnougher MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2007
    I have a PC which I have installed Vista on Multiple times without formating the drive, and I now have 40GB of files in the system Volme Information directory.

I am unable to talke ownership of these files to delete them as it says I do not have the permissions to view or edit this object permissions.

i am running in Admin mode and I have tried the TakeControl app but nothing seems to work - any ideas?:eek:

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #3 Yen, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
    What about to boot into the repair console. (boot from Vista DVD and choose it) and delete the files by using the del command? But be careful IMO the system restore files are in it. What about switch of the system restore, reboot and switch on again? system properties----> system protection---->uncheck, apply, reboot, check again?

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lalalalalalala

lalalalalalala MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2007
    That's fantastic! Thanks for that!

5. frogale

frogale MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2007
    Incredible.. thanks!

6. gadsh

gadsh MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2007
    Thanks a lot

7. bassgoonist

bassgoonist MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2007
    Ah! That take ownership was all I needed to delete some folders from 3 or 4 installs ago, thanks!

8. boppo

boppo MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2007
    #8 boppo, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
    I got it sorted out, thanks

I ran the reg patch and it seem to work but when I try to overwrite the user32.dill.mui it still will not let me. So the watermark will not go away.
    thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. glatzfront

glatzfront MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2008
    Can this be expanded to work on registry entries?

10. usmc8408

usmc8408 MDL Novice

May 1, 2008
    Awesome....works great..thanks a ton!!

11. Julian S Moore

Julian S Moore MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2008
    Good... but not everywhere

Very nice! - alas the problem is that MS decided I want a large number of Chinese, Korean, etc. fonts whose current owner is TrustedInstaller... To delete them I had to do all the tedious clicking and I thought this was going to be the answer to my prayers (apart from the fact that some fonts are "in use" by something unknown too...) but the context menu is different in the Fonts folder (if it's a real folder at all)...

How could this be done so that it applies to the Fonts folder (?everywhere?) as well?

12. aloud

aloud MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2008
    This is great, thanks!!

13. striker7770

striker7770 MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2008
    hi, i just installed take ownership becuase i want to cheat on this game tribes vengance (i allready beat it)

to do this, you have to change the target area, but its still whited out even after using ownership on program files and my user account.

is there a specific path to do this, or to specificly change .exe files

14. crazypolak222

crazypolak222 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2008
    How do I merge this with the registry? I downloaded it, unzipped the file, then when I double-click on the registry file, it is opened by Notepad, and that's it. Anybody know how to actually get it to merge?

15. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    Open it with registry editor.

16. hbayar_morph

hbayar_morph MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2008
    Great!!! Thanks

17. Freebro

Freebro MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2008
    The TakeOwnership.zip is not working because I got only a 18.9 Kb file named attachment.php ending in .php, not a zip.

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  19. ahmadhab

ahmadhab MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2008
    thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx