take ownership vs enable administrator(Solved)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bobplop, Dec 4, 2016.

1. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    #1 bobplop, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hb860

hb860 MDL Addicted

May 7, 2010
    Windows 10 is known for having side effects after enabling it. For some users, it breaks Edge even under the limited account.
    Never enable it unless you are sure that you really need it.
    Otherwise, avoid enabling it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Well it wasn't exactly out-of-the-box,I installed a bunch of things like office etc,and executed most of the anti-spy settings from the o&O program,
    are you saying than out-of-the-box there would be no file permission problems?

5. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    so enabling the administrator account would cause problems, so I presume running nsudo would as well?
    (I didn't know about this nsudo, after reading some I believe it is a sort of super administrator account)
    I haven't tried this take ownership thing, if that is a simple solution which works i should be fine,if not, more drastic measures would be necessary probably.

6. eemuler

eemuler MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    On a somewhat related note, if you have set up dual booting (or multi booting) and encounter this error while browsing the folders of the other installation(s) from within Windows, be very careful when Windows suggests that you take ownership of that folder permanently. It will give you access all right, but will break your other OS. :mad:

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Don't use another windows if you want to act from a parallel installation. Use Linux or use the recovery consolle, or use something like the miniXP from Hiren's Boot CD.

But, as I said, the most practical way is to use nsudo.

8. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    good point, thanks.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
  10. LiteOS

LiteOS MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2014
    The fastest way i know is
    run cmd as trusted installer
    and then use icacls to add u or administrators group full access

its will save u time to take ownership and might save headache if its system file shouldn't be changed

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I still don't get why you would need all these "solutions" for a problem that shouldn't even exist, at least i nowhere in your replies read on what files you get the "acces denied" message.

If it's on a simple folder containing mp3's it's a real problem, which maybe is caused by (settings from) one or some "extra's" you use, like "mp3bookhelper"?

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Obviously nsudo is a solution meant to be used when it's needed, if you don't like the permissions just install the system on the fat32 :D

13. LiteOS

LiteOS MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2014
    better go with exfat :)

14. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    it wasn' t only "mp3bookhelper",I can' t remember the exact particulars but there were a number of instances I wasn' t allowed to move the file to another partition nor delete it.
    these where regular partitions, not the system drive.

I' m going to try some of the solutions given here in the next couple of days when I have some more time.
    thanks for helping out

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If it's a windows configuration/rights problem the "solutions" won't solve that, it only works around it.

Is it a fresh single install or dual boot, like someone else also has asked?

Can you delete/rename/move the files using windows' native explorer?

What happens when you do it in safe mode?

What process(es) is(are) using the file when you try to delete/rename/move it?

16. eemuler

eemuler MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I am dual booting Windows 10 and Windows 7. Very often, I download a file in Windows 10 (either to the desktop or to the downloads folder) and then, when I am in Windows 7, I realise that I have forgotten to move the file to a location accessible by Windows 7. Are any of the suggestions above suitable for simply getting the downloaded file from within Windows 7 (and vice versa) without having to reboot into the other OS and move the file to a non-system folder?

17. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Registry Editor, Selection on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, File/Load Hive

the explorer windows will be administrative and can access other OS Users directory without messing with permissions

it's better to copy the file, don't move it