Taking the JUMP to Linux

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laylos, Dec 3, 2010.

1. laylos

laylos MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2010
    Hi Everyone

Got a second laptop with win 7 on it so the old one is sitting there with XP on it. It's in a bad shape man!

I've just started a JAVA course and thought about re-formatting the old laptop so I can use it for doing the JAVA. I need some help though as not done this sort off stuff before:

SO specs:

Old laptop is a Compaq N610c
    It has 2 partitions on it or maybe it's 2 hard discs...I don't know..you get c:\\ and f:\\ in explorer. Pentium 4..no dvd/cd player..well there is one but it's cream crackered.

So I want to remove XP and install Linux. C:\\ seems to be where windows is installed. I don't need windows on it anymore as I woud like to have the laptop for linux as we have the new one with win 7. All I really need is Firefox..at the moment.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do? Which Linux is good for general home purposes? Do I just download it and run it? Will it get rid of XP for me..hopefully. What about drive f:\\..do i need to consider what to do with that? Thinking of it, it may be a seperate hard disk (it's my partners laptop). Any considerations needed?

So really just want a clean install of Linux over XP and ensure I can still get to f:\\ through linux.

Any ideas please? Pretty please? ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers
    Steve

2. balding1

balding1 MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2010
    ubuntu for me

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Ubuntu 10.10 booted from vhd using vmlite

sebus

4. balding1

balding1 MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2010
    I tried Ubuntu on a usb stick without making any changes to my laptop about 2 months ago.
    That lasted 2 days before windows7 was history with a full install of Ubuntu.
    It's still a work in progress of learning something new but having fun at the same time.
    Once you learn the basics, it's easy as pie.

5. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    #6 gamepoint, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
    OH yeah!:bananajoj2::bananajoj2: i also really want to do that..but.I'm quite a gamer.So i just really need windows to play games.Nothing else.Right now, i consider trying Cruncbang linux..

yeah..linux=put the FUN back into computing.No viruses, No hassle :clap:

6. AmiJIm

AmiJIm MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2010
    Give linux a try.I like ubuntu distro.Its been two weeks now and i am really excited.Only drawback is the games i am afraid.

7. gamepoint

Jan 4, 2010
    @AmiJlm

that is the main reason i afraid to change before this.Main drawback

8. andy_s

andy_s MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2010
    I have a netbook running ubuntu netbook remix, as well as another old laptop running backtrack 3 which is based on slackware. I needed the backtrack for my network studies etc.

Netbook was dual booting with windows 7 at first but I binned W7 as I found I mainly loaded Ubuntu. My main use of it now is using XBMC to stream films over my NAS setup to my TV and it runs really well on an N270 CPU with 1 gig of ram (HP mini 110c).

I also have an IBM Lenovo T500 laptop running windows XP pro with dual core 2.4ghz CPU and and 2 gig ram and it stutters when I dock it and watch films with windows flavour of XBMC, even on a low resolution.

I have wine installed on the netbook but games aren't a priority on it really.

9. gamepoint

Jan 4, 2010
    I thought backtrack is based on ubuntu? or debian

10. andy_s

andy_s MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2010
    The latest version is debian kernel based gamepoint (Ubuntu), BT 3 is slackware based though. Personally I've got so used to the slackware BT3 I haven't 'upgraded' from it.

11. gamepoint

Jan 4, 2010
    i c..never use Backtrack.
    somehow i find it 'creepy'.LOL :evil2::evil2:

12. gamepoint

Jan 4, 2010
    u are like god of OS..have u ever used fedora or mandriva?

13. gamepoint

Jan 4, 2010
    Because i always want to try Fedora.But don't have enough knowledge.What makes u always eager to try new oS?

14. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I too recommend Ubuntu. I use it on my backup computer and use it more than windows. It is really nice and easy to use.

As for your F: drive. it is a special Recovery Partition for restoring XP to it's original condition as when it was from the factory. Normallyy you'd create recovery CDs in Windows, but since you don't have a working optical drive anymore, you can just go into the BIOS and tell it to boot from the F: drive and it will restore everything XP. So you may want to keep that partition in case you want to sell or restore the laptop back to XP.

-=Mark=-