Task Manager: No longer possible to minimize to tray (only) on startup?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bjf2000, Aug 11, 2012.

1. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Addicted

Apr 11, 2008
  2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    I found your solution. First, I'm using Classic Shell, so I was able to find "Task Manager" via it's search field, just as in Windows 7's Start Menu. Right-click it and choose "Create Shortcut". It'll say the current location is invalid and offer to put i on the Desktop instead, click Yes. Right-click the shortcut on your Desktop and click Properties. On the "Shortcut" tab (default for me), in the "Run" field change it from "Normal window" to "Minimized". Then click OK to save the properties. Now you can either put it in your Startup folder or if you want it to really launch immediately, bypassing Windows 8's delay, then schedule a task and run the shortcut from it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Addicted

Apr 11, 2008
    I mentioned in my first post why that doesn't work (it minimizes to the taskbar).

My last post has a solution though.

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Good deal. May I suggest starting a new thread specifically for your found method of bypassing Metro? Although I'm happy to do it with just Classic Shell, others might be interested in other ways, and alternatives are always good.

Glad you solved your trouble!

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Can't you just use the "hide when minimized" option?

7. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    That's a good idea, but I tested right now with my shortcut to launch the TM minimized and although it does launch minimized, it's still in the task bar. If I un-minimize and re-minimize it, then it does like it should and only appears in the notification tray.

8. hans71

hans71 MDL Novice

May 29, 2010
    Hello, i use the Taskscheduler and is working well ! Look at the Attachments !

Attached Files:

9. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Addicted

Apr 11, 2008
    The reason that it's also on the taskbar (picture #4) is that you're running it with the "start" command. As mentioned in the first post, that's what's going to happen. Using "nircmd exec hide taskmgr" instead will just put it in the tray.

10. hans71

hans71 MDL Novice

May 29, 2010
    This not working (Desktop is the first App)
    How to perform ? :confused:

11. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Addicted

Apr 11, 2008
    I tried the three-line method on other machines and can't get it to work consistently, either for running TM or skipping Metro, so that's going to take more experimentation.

But the one-line method for running TM does work very well as far as I've seen.

12. dastallmanu

dastallmanu MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Options > Minimize on use.
    Options > Hide when minimized.

13. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I can't run the taskmgr at startup even after setting the shortcut to run as administrator.It is shown as enabled in the start column in taskmgr but it won't run at startup.

14. ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !

! .ĐΛЄMØИ. ! MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Man this new task manager is kinda buggy.

It totally reports the wrong CPU speed lol.

15. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Addicted

Apr 11, 2008
    Sigh. So back to this for 8.1.

One related problem that carries forward with 8.1 is the frequent loss of TM customizations. The solution with 8.0 was to customize it as desired and then export this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TaskManager

You could then import it via your scheduled startup task.

Unfortunately, while this key exists in 8.1, restoring it does NOT restore TM's settings. I can't figure out whether there are multiple keys that need to be restored now or whether the above key is simply no longer really used in favor of the new location.

Anyone know?

16. BabyFarkMcGeeZax

BabyFarkMcGeeZax MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2013
    I ran into the same problem you did. In Win 7, I had a Task Scheduler entry that ran a batch file as administrator 15 seconds after login, where the batch file contained "start /min taskmgr" and that worked fine on Windows 7. But as you mention, under Win 8 and then WIn 8.1 (which tells me they don't care), even with the "hide when minimized" option is checked, Task Manager is not hidden but visible in the task bar until you open and close it once. Why won't Microsoft fix this? Why isn't there an official way to report bugs? Doesn't a license come with support?

Actually the registry export/import approach does work for me in Win 8.1. You just have to import/export with Task Manager closed. So open it, make some changes, close it, export the registry key to a file. Then open it make some more changes and close it. If you execute the registry file before opening it, it will apply the settings from when you exported that file.

17. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Addicted

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks for pointing this out. I knew this but somehow made this mistake or another with 8.1. I'm not sure what my issue was.

So, good, we still have the workaround for lost settings, which MS really should fix, since there's no way they can convince me that it isn't a bug.

And with Nircmd, you can still start it up properly minimized, the only disadvantage being that the first time you use it in a given boot you have to right-click it and choose "Restore" -- but if you don't boot often that's not a big deal.