Taskbar textbox for notes?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by robtheslob, Jan 6, 2014.

1. robtheslob

robtheslob MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2013
    I've been hunting for a software that will put a text field input toolbar in my taskbar that I can type notes into hit enter and they are saved with a timestamp. Locally saved, posted to twitter, or whatever will work.

Any Suggestions?

2. robtheslob

robtheslob MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2013
    The reason is I'm horrible at recording details of work I do as I'm going so I need to make it as easy as possible to enter notes or I won't. I've thought of writing something but I'm rusty at code and just don't have time. A floating text box that is very minimal would nearly as well.

Thanks in advance.

3. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    something like 3M's Post-it Digital Notes would work well for you I think... it's not a freeware program though..

it would not be hard to code something either, well not an actual toolbar in your taskbar -- that's still difficult.. but an on-top window would be easy.. i could whip something up if you wanted..

4. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    #4 jellybelly, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    I went ahead and whipped something up since I had some free time... if it suits your needs then great! If you want any improvements or changes let me know.

Features:
    =========

Notepad stays on top of your screen for easy access at all times.

Ability to change opacity to suit your likes.

Ability to position notepad on screen where you want it.

Ability to size notepad to your needs.

Automatically save notes when you press the Enter key.

Automatically save notes to your preconfigured directory.

Manually save notes with a right click.

Manually save notes to a non-default directory.

Use a portion of the note in the file name so you can easily find it later. Date and Time is also used.

Run program at system startup.

Customize the background and text color of the notepad.

Small, standalone program, no need to install it.

Only dependancy is the .NET Framework 2.0

v.12 - Added a little fix to a could-be annoying issue of not being able to select text with the mouse, due to the window moving feature.
    Now if there is text in the box left click will work normally to select text. If no text is written then left click will move the window.

QuickNotes, creatively named for it's features....
    hXXps://app.box.com/s/uk8lvifjag2ibzct1drr