TCP/IP DNS Error - browser not working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by burton, Nov 2, 2007.

1. burton

burton MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2007
    #1 burton, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. Mr_bytes

Mr_bytes MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2007
    Maybe you have patched the tcpip.sys ? and you have upgraded your Vista with the KB932596

Regards

3. burton

burton MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2007
    #3 burton, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
    (OP)
    Hi Mr-bytes,

No I havent upgraded my Vista with the KB932596, is there maybe another number for the german version?
    And I dont think I patched the tcpip.sys. If I did, what command would have been used? Can it be checked if a software did it upon execution?

regards, burton

4. Jack™

Jack™ MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2007
    Sure, that might be one possibility, but typical?

Failing to get a reply when pinging an Internet address such as Google.com first of all shows that you may not be online.
    Use a pingable IP address such as f.i. 4.2.2.2 and if you get a reply, then you are online.
    Then try google.com. If you get something like:
    C:\Users\Jack>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=631ms TTL=241
    etc.
    etc.

then everything is ok.
    If you ping f.i.:
    C:\Users\Jack>ping dd.com

Pinging dd.com [67.207.67.21] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

then the target just does not answer to pings. However, the DNS has resolved the name and translated it to the IP address. For that the host (your PC) has to be online in order to reach the DNS server(s).

If you get however a "Host not found" error message, then it's in all probability a modem or router that has lost its connection with the Internet.
    Try to ping the gateway (a.k.a. the router, modem-router or modem) and if that's OK, then check its online status.
    HTH.

5. burton

burton MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2007
    HiJack ;-)

Thanks for your feedback. I am always online, because when I switch back from direct connection to the router, everything works!

Here again the steps with IPCONFIG /ALL:
    1) when connected to router:
    - when the traffic goes through the same IP for standard gateway, DHCP- and DNS-Server (= IPv4 address) all pings respond (also internet websites)

2) when connected to modem (directly):
    - 4 DNS-Servers, DHCP-Server and the standard gateway all have different IPs to the IPv4 address, which is probably normal.
    - IP routing and WINS Proxy are not activated.
    - only ping to ip and loopback address work (no internet websites)

(On above connections DHCP and autoconfiguration are both activated)

Would it help and is it possible to have a log file (no I dont mean a simple HijackThis) that can track the DNS error or trace the good DNS connection in using the router? Or just a simple overwrite of the system files it concerns?

6. burton

burton MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2007
  7. 1RealTruth

1RealTruth MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh boy!!

Helloooooo. Has anyone even listened to this problem. I think the issue is you need to reset your network. You said you took your router out. Unless you are in a data center, you do NOT have a direct connection to the internet. There has to be something connecting you. It might be a DSL or Cable modem. That has the router in it's memory. You need to unplug your cable or DSL modem for over 20 seconds, then plug the power back in. After it finishes blinking for about 1-2 minutes then power up your computer. That should solve your problem.

8. bogdanelhh

bogdanelhh MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2009
    is really bad if you unplug the computer if you have a network problem Mr. 1RealTruth. if you reset de modem/router you don't need to unplug the computer or network cable, you can simply disable and enable the device... that would be much easy for hardware parts of your computer... regarding the direct connection he was mentioning that he is not connected using the router. Well if you direct connect the router and you don't get connected to the ISP try to use on your computer network card same MAC address as router has, your ISP might have stored that MAC address. :) I have a broadband T1 using PPPoE and I can't connect without using the initial MAC address that I had when I signed the contract. :)

9. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    I think that the member has alredy resolved the issue, since this thread is to old.
    But it's always good to have members that are trying to help no metter what, even if the thread is more than year and a half old...:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. mvavra83

mvavra83 MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2009
    This thread is obviously very old but I have the same problem with a Vista computer that has a browser that isn't working. It's not a network problem because I've tried it on two different networks now. It says it is connected to the internet and I can ping websites but the browsers, IE and Firefox don't work. Did system restore, did netsh winsock reset command, Don't know what else to try short of reinstalling Vista.

11. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Which version of Vista are you using ?
    Couse if you are still using SP1, you will need to patch the TCPIP.SYS or upgrade to SP2.
    Especialy if you're using p2p programs that make lots of connections, couse microsoft limits the connection attempts per second to 20.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. gieser

gieser MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2011
    same here - browsers are finicky

I tried absolutely every sort of update/scan/cleanup of my vista OS desktop and still was having issues with any browsers loading. Firefox, Chrome, and IE. Tried upgrading from IE7 to 8 and to 9, but still no difference.

Today I finally had it and backed everything up and did a full format to factory, yet after 8 hours of windows updates I'm afraid to say I am STILL having the same issues with the browsers. I have no clue what else to do but buy a new computer! I asked the techiest friend I have whether he knew of anything else I could try and he's also stumped. He also figured a format would do the job.

Anyone find a solution?!