TechNet subscribers...Question's Please

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetkat, Aug 12, 2009.

1. jetkat

jetkat MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Can you explain who the subscription works please?

For example:
    Windows 7 Ultimate. How many keys can you get?

Are they just for Ultimate or just for everything in Windows 7?

Example: If I have 5 PC's and got 5 keys, then they would be good for each machine?
    Then why would anyone want to buy 5 boxed versions on Oct 22 at say $300. each, if this subscription is $350. and can get "5" keys?

Don't understand?

Anything else, I would appreicate !

Thanks, great forum here!

Jetkat

2. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    if you do bizspark.com you owe 100$ after 3 years and get 10 keys that can be activated on 10 or more pcs each.

3. roylion15

roylion15 MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    #3 roylion15, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    Got msdn ...

you can get 10 retail keys for each edition (SKU) of win 7 thus more than 50 keys !

For me; installing 1 retail key per computer it's fine to avoid problems of reactivation if you often change hardware or reinstall ....

keys are working for both x86 and x64 edition

i'm new on msdn but i think that you can use a retail key for 10 activations on the same or different machines ....

or also use the single Entreprise key (MAK) for installation on multiples machines ...

Thus msdn sub is better than buy 5 licences , you have already 10 licences only for the ultimate version and more with use the Entreprise key ...

Entreprise is the same as ultimate just a single multiple activation key.

4. jpw16

jpw16 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Did you join Bizspark?

5. jdi_knght

jdi_knght MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    As was mentioned, 10 keys for each edition, as well as a set for 32 bit and a set for 64 bit for each edition.

That would be accurate.

The license agreement doesn't permit you to use them on production machines. It's more like a for-testing-purposes-only sort of a thing. There are quite a few "legit" applications for it - those working in IT can use it to install/test various versions before committing their company to an upgrade or making recommendations. It's also great for sites that do reviews/benchmarks and tend to reinstall Windows all the time on different hardware.

It's really not meant for consumer-use. I'd suspect there are people that get a Technet subscription because they find it more affordable than grabbing a copy of Windows for each of their 5 home computers, but it's not really supposed to be used that way. At best doing so is "grey area", but if the alternative is simply pirating 5 copies I suppose it's the lesser of the two evils.

With all the rampant selling of keys going on though it's probably just a matter of time before Microsoft starts hunting people down and pursuing legal action, or reduces the keys given in a subscription (possibly upping the number of activations on each to offset it for legitimate users).

6. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    jdi_knght had it 99.9% right...
    The keys you get are for testing purposes and not meant to be used on production machines.
    You are only supposed to use them as long as your TechNet subscription is active ($349 for the first year, $249 each subsequent year).
    Though I think the general consensus is, so long as you don't do anything to get your keys blacklisted, they'll continue to work after your subscription expires.

The BizSpark.com is for new businesses starting out.
    They give you 3 years of MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) for a $100 enrollment fee to be paid after the 3 years is up with the option to continue your enrollment for the regular MSDN rates which range from $649 to $3,499 a year.

7. DataMan47

DataMan47 MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    That is, if you don't mind committing fraud. Which is a criminal offense (unlike breaking the EULA, which is only a minor civil offense). There have already been two BizSpark-related threads that have been closed because of this. Don't do it; you'll regret it down the road.

Anyway, you get 10 keys with 10 activations each, for a theoretical limit of 100 activations per Windows 7 edition. Microsoft trusts you to not abuse this, though...

8. jpw16

jpw16 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I dont think anyone is talking about commiting fraud in this thread. The only that is being talked about is what Microsoft programs have to offer.

9. notshai

notshai MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    technet licensing rules - SQL 08 and Server 08 limitations?

hi,

can any one link me up with the software usage rules? i cant find it.

my questions:
    i have a technet subscription and have downloaded Server 2008 and SQL 2008 with their either pre-pidded or issued keys - i have tested and now i would like to roll those for production ON THE SAME SERVERS without RE - INSTALLING...
    is that possible? how do i transition from a technet key to buying the software from MS or a verndor and replace those licenses with non technet ones?

also -
    are the technet keys for the software FULLY OPERATIONAL? that is - is there a user limit or any other limits built into the technet downloaded / keys? would in theory one be able to use a technet MS Server 08 and SQL 08 as a fully operational production server?

i need to roll those out and short of a magic buton to switch to the normal keys i dont have time and would like to start using those servers.

any ideas?
    thank you very much, any advice appreciated.

10. DataMan47

DataMan47 MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    Just buy the license. As long as you have the license, you can continue to use your your old TechNet keys or pre-pidded keys; there's no need to change. If the BSA audits you, they only check for licenses; they don't care what keys are on your 8 machines, as long as you have the licenses for those 8 machines.

Yes.

11. thesicilian

thesicilian MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    What if after a years sub, you cancel. Do the keys get cancelled / blacklisted?

12. China4Ever

China4Ever Bios Mod.

Apr 25, 2007
    No.

Retail keys are "perpetual keys". Even after natural "one year" period expiring, you'll be able to activate downloaded software with your keys you requested before, don't worry. :D

13. Killermax

Killermax MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    Under my MSDN account there is a MSDN magazine link - is that FREE?

When i try to sign up it says "MSDN MAGAZINE Free Subscription Form " but underneath it says "CANADA $9.95, ALL OTHERS $25.00" - So is it FREE or do I have to pay $25??