tell me the history of English

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by mdlgaofei, Jan 11, 2016.

1. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    I saw the Evolution process of English online.I found only a little.Can you tell me more knowledge about the history of English?

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    A long long time ago I can still remember how that music used to make me smile....

3. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    There was a very good series on tv a few years ago about the history of the English language maybe it would be worth trying to locate it...it was also interesting for the small things like:- English went "underground" after the Norman conquest when the Normans tried to enforce Norman French on the population and in fact it was 300 years before a king spoke English as his first language.
    Other interesting facts were there was different kinds of English spoken in England and eventually London imposed a standard English throughout the country, but in doing so when there there was a conflict in words just chose one without logic....so does explain why some words\spellings seem odd today.

4. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    C'mon...it's sooooooooo hard to google these days.

P.S. Can anyone breathe for me, please? It's soooo much work involved: inhale, exhale then repeat again and again...Pleaaaaaase, anyone...breathe for me...:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Reply to EFA11:Can you summarize this article for me?

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #8 Michaela Joy, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    [​IMG]

PS: IN BEFORE THE BIN! :eekout:

8. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    I've never seen this sentence.So I don't know what do you mean.

9. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    etymology - the study of the origin of words and the way in which their meanings have changed throughout history

I remember reading about the origins of the word "bear". In ancient England, there was a name for the animal that preceded the use of the name "bear". Some of the ancient hunter tribes believed that the bear was possessed an evil spirit, and it was considered a taboo or a blasphemy to refer to one using the original name. Instead, they began referring to the animal using the name "bear", which in Old English literally meant "the brown one". Over time, the name that was originally used has been forgotten and is forever lost.

Online etymology dictionary: http://www.etymonline.com/

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    They came, they saw, they grunted :poop:

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

12. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    #13 mdlgaofei, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    (OP)
    I'm in China.Are you sure the series on China's tv,too?(Are you sure there's the series online?I'm in China)

13. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    English has much exceptional circumstances.Like go and went,spend and spent,eat and ate.
    The normal condition,like jump and jumped.
    Why? So much exceptional circumstances.

14. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    What are the 26 English letters' modern meaning?