Tell us your experience with Windows 11 for Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by LightDestory, Oct 19, 2021.

1. LightDestory

LightDestory MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2015
    As the title says, I opened this thread to share your experience with Windows 11 for Laptops by various OEMs.

We can start sharing the basic necessary information about our workstation, any optional specification to make more clear your case is accepted!

• Manufacturer: Your OEM Name
    • Model: Your Generic Model
    • Is Windows 11 officially supported?: Yes|No

PLEASE NOTE: This thread is not a support thread where you can ask for fixes for the X issue on your machine, ask into your OEM's forum.

We can start with some basic questions:
    • Did you laptop release with Windows 11 pre-installed?
    • If the previous one is negative, did you have already get the update notification?
    Now some technical ones:
    • Did you OEM provides Windows 11 drivers?
    • Did you notice any different performance behavior between Windows 10 and Windows 11?
    • Did the upgrade, if any, broke some features of the laptop?

2. LightDestory

LightDestory MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2015
    As the OP, I think it is my responsability to start our discussion.
    My workstation is a Gaming laptop built by MSI. It is an high-end laptop due to my needs as a gamer and machine learning student.
    • Manufacturer: MSI
    • Model: GE75 10SFS
    • Is Windows 11 officially supported?: Yes
    Regarding the basic questions, there isn't much to say:
    • Did you laptop release with Windows 11 pre-installed?
      No, my laptop was release on Q2 2020 so it has been released with Windows 10.
    • If the previous one is negative, did you have already get the update notification?
      Yes, but I am not still updating
    The funny stuff comes with the technical ones:
    • Did you OEM provides Windows 11 drivers?
      Yes but actually no. MSI is just updating the support page saying that Windows 10 driver should work with Windows 11 and that Windows 11's drivers for device-need will be released soon. So... I got nothing. There are already know issue about some driver/software that MSI seems to have not noticed for now lol
    • Did you notice any different performance behavior between Windows 10 and Windows 11?
      Still running the old and stable Windows 10
    • Did the upgrade, if any, broke some features of the laptop?
      I didn't update directly but I have some bad reports from reddit: Intel UHD Graphics 30.0.100.XXXX are very bad, MSI Dragon Center is unable to modify fan curves and it is unable to get CPU/GPU clocks speed, MSI custom recovery is broken and unaccessible, MSI TrueColor has some glitches when switching from dedicated to integrated graphics.
    So, I am unable to use Windows 11 for now. I am a bit shocked regarding the current situation about Drivers and Bugfixes. Windows 11 has been announced months ago and the previews has been around us for a lot of time. Microsoft announced the 22000 build as RTM but no one prepared correctly their supports for Windows 11.

Drivers are still lacking, custom OEM software is still not updated to support Windows 11. It is like the first release of Windows 10, a complete mess. I think that non-geek users will be able to safetely update their integrated PCs (laptop) on next Summer or Winter.

The first release of Windows 10 was a nightmare, with the release of Windows 10 Anniversary Update OEM started releasing a decent support for it. I except the same for Windows 11.