Temporary Internet Files

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MuadDib0643, Aug 26, 2015.

1. MuadDib0643

MuadDib0643 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2015
    #1 MuadDib0643, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    I cannot seem to delete the growing list of temporary internet files that is taking up 1.5 gigabytes of space on my SSD. I have used ccleaner as well and windows cleanup, and other suggestions from various forums on the internet, nothing has worked! I have read of other users with the exact same issue and no one has found a solution. Some have suggested that it is a bug and the files are not really there?
    Anyone else having this same issue? If so did you find asolution that you could share? It is driving me insane! MS tech forums have some suggestions that are not working for anyone that has tried them. So as a last resort I figured I’d post here as there is a lot of knowledgeable people here who may have a solution that works.
    TIA for any reply’s or solutions!!!

Attached Files:

2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Reduce the size of the cache of IE in Control Panel. Internet Options (I think). I had the same problem.

3. Carol666

Carol666 MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Install chrome remove edge disable Internet Explorer

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #4 abbodi1406, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Try the manual way:
    open Run (Win+R)
    Code:
    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache
    mark all files (Ctrl+A)
    delete them
    you will get a warning regard deleteing cookies, you may choose yes or no

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You should go to control panel, Internet Options, on page you'll see Browser History, click on delete and check all options. Now go to Disk Cleanup and see what the size is.

If the size has not changed, do you have a Anti-Virus installed, this can lock the folder. Also if you have delete on close.

If so - In the same place you deleted the history, look to RT and you'll see settings, Under Temporary Internet files folder, click Move folder. Locate the network share under My Network Places, and then locate the user's folder on that share. Click OK, and then click OK two times.

6. MuadDib0643

MuadDib0643 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2015
    Thanks for all your suggestions everyone but nothing is working to get rid of these phantom files. I have tried all of the suggestions mentioned in this thread to no avail. I have windows 10 pro installed on both my desktop and laptop with the same issues. I am dumfounded, It also appears that I am not the only one with this issue as I have read in other forums of windows 10 users with the exact issue who also can’t seem to find a solution. Hopefully MS will address the issue and release a fix.

7. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    made a small bat file with this, help a lot

del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.tmp
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*._mp
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.log
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.gid
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.chk
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.old
    del /f /s /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\cookies\*.*"
    del /f /s /q "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"
    del /f /s /q "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    del /f /s /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\*.*"
    del /f /s /q %windir%\*.bak
    del /f /s /q %windir%\prefetch\*.*
    del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\*.*

rd /s /q "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp" & md "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp"
    rd /s /q %windir%\Temp & md %windir%\Temp