'Test Mode' watermark remover for Vista x64 SP1 FINAL

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by AlphaOmega, Mar 25, 2008.

1. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    I just installed SP1 on my Vista Ultimate 64bit installation. Since I run my machine in test mode to circumvent the driver signing restriction on Vista 64, the ugly ‘Test Mode’ watermark re-appeared on my screen. Since I had used Trebuin’s patcher previously, I searched online for an update but wasn’t able to find a one for the final version of SP1. So I made my own with the files on my computer. Build 6001 (1800).

It works just like Trebuin’s (since it’s based on his). The instructions are taken directly from his instruction file (no need to re-invent the wheel):

1) Open up the batch file within to read the directories that I place the new files to. Take ownership of the files in these directories and give yourself read/write permission as stated above.

2) I built the batch based on c:\, extract all the files there. Replace them with your own edited version if you would like. I added the option to remove the test mode since that's how I bypass the driver signature now.

3) Now here's where you need to pay attention: Use your Vista install CD, if you don't own one, get one from microsoft or winbeta. You need to reboot your computer.

4) You have the option to repair your computer, select this option.

5) Now open the command prompt.

6) Run that batch. All files should copy...if they don't, time to modify the batch for yourself. Instructions are in the download.
    *XP's boot CD should work as well if you're familiar with it*

7) Reboot and your done

NOTE: Often the results of the patch aren’t visible immediately. This had troubled me initially, since I had done everything right, yet the watermark was still there. It seems that Vista keeps a cache or temp file derived from the user32.dll.mui. So changing them doesn’t instantly cause the watermark to disappear. I don’t know how or when Vista updates this, but it can take quite some time, even days. I have found that installing an update from Windows Update (even a single, small one) and rebooting solves this. I don’t know any other method yet.

OT: I mainly use the testmode to get around the TCP/IP limit by using a cracked tcpip.sys file. I haven’t found one for SP1 x64. If someone has, please let me know (other than the cracktcpip.sys method).

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. dumppq

dumppq MDL Junior Member

Mar 3, 2008
    #2 dumppq, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
    Not sure why everybody is so hot on using the Vista install CD to update the files. That seems like a pretty ****** silly way to do it!!

Just use takeown and icacls to get the permissions and replace the files. Worked fine here for all files (patched my own ;)). Silly people.

3. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    #3 AlphaOmega, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
    (OP)
    Hmm, I don't know what those 2 programs are, but I can guess. I didn't really bother trying to find out another way to replace the files. It's not like I have to replace system files everyday. This is a one time thing, once done there is no need to bother. I haven't even tried using safe mode yet, for the same reason :p.

And I think this method is probably simpler for most people. Instead of telling people to where to find certain files, then go about changing ownership and permessions, and unloading them from memory, doing it multiple times for each file etc. I think it easier to just provide a batch file to execute once in repair mode.

So, whatever method works for you...

4. dumppq

dumppq MDL Junior Member

Mar 3, 2008
    I replace system files once in a while, since sometimes it's the only way to customize something. You can make a batch script to use takeown/icacls to replace the files just as easily as the existing script, since they are system commands.

I might just do that to save people the trouble. :)

5. Trebuin

Trebuin MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    Thanks for your work updating this. I'll point out one important thing I have found people doing...take ownership of the files...not the directories. If you take ownership of that, you'll probably need to reinstall windows due to some ownership nightmare errors that are close to irreversible.

6. nijel

nijel MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2008
    The problem with the "Test Mode" watermark not removed after replacing user32.dll.mui with the patched one is that there is no any single windows system process using it. Even after Windows Update the watermark was there.
    A forum member here found that installing and uninstalling DreamScene x64 does the trick. I did it on my Vista x64 Business and the "Test Mode" watermark is gone forever.

7. johnrr6

johnrr6 MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2008
    Thank you!!!!

I got an unsigned driver into my rig either through a program called Hardware Monitor, Everest, or the new AMD Overdrive Utility....

I suspect Hardware Monitor as I saw something about using a "Self Signed Driver" in the install.....

Anyway----I have been seeing that stupid "Test Mode" watermark ever since.

I downloaded the above files.....

Followed the instructions....

Then did the little DreamScene install / uninstall trick....and VIOLA!!!!

No more annoying "Test Mode" appears on my 64 bit Vista Ultimate screen

One addendum----if your are using RAID-----have your Floppy Disk RAID drivers handy in case the VISTA Install Disk does not recognize your Array (C: Drive) to repair (it did not recognize my AMD RAID 0 Array till I popped in a floppy with the drivers.)

Thank you again for your work on this!!!!:)

John

8. casidus

casidus MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2008
    since I can do this operation in another system that is not the version in - us but es - it is or what is the same the Spanish version

9. sodoma

sodoma MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2008
  10. SublimeRhythm

SublimeRhythm MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2008
    Also, make sure you clean your shadow copies out! Vista will just use one of those and make you lose your marbles trying to find out why this wont work. If you STILL cannot get the watermark to disappear after trying everything...

Run cleanmgr.exe and then turn to the More Options page,
    Click Cleanup under System Restore and Shadow Copies.

11. Benzima

Benzima MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2008
    Add/Remove Dream Scene works !!!

I tried a few things posted here and maybe they would have eventually but the only one that works instantly was rijels' that involves installing / removing Dream Scene.

Thanxxx !!!

12. Benzima

Benzima MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2008
    The latest...

Spoke too soon. Rebooted and evaluation screen is back. Gonna re-install Dream Scene but just not use it. I'll see if that works.

13. SuperAggie

SuperAggie MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    I tried this on Vista x64 SP2

I just installed Service Pack 2 on my Vista x64 Ultimate just hoping it might work but it did not. Is there something I could do to make it work?